Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

squier 5 wiring adding Bartolini's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gintaras, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I am putting a set of bartolini 59J1-L/S pickups in my squier 5 The neck pickup fits perfect and I need to widen the bridge 1/10"

Now for my issue!!!! The original pickups have 3 wires but the red and black are soldered together to the pot and the white to the center post on the pot. On the Bartolini do I solder the ground (braided cable to the pot) and the other to the center post? I am confused why the original squire has what seems to be 2 ground wires??

Gus

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yes... if the red & black are soldered together and to the back of the pot, they're both going to "system ground"....

On a side issue.... I could be wrong here..... but I thought the L/S stood for "long/short".... before you widen the bridge routing, are you sure you "test-fitted" the proper pup? Or did you "test-fit" the same pup (e.g., the wider pup) in both places?

Maybe you have it right.... but I'd hate to see you route, THEN realize.... :eek:

3. Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    thanks for the reply on the pickup wiring. I was holding off till I got a response!!!

The squier comes with (2) neck width pickups which are the same as the short Bartolini. There are threads on this issue on talkbass. The 'L' which is typically the bridge pu is wider than the existing squier and that is the one that I need to widen. (since you asked, I had to think about this again?!?!)

Thanks for the help

4. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Gotcha. Like I alluded to in my post, I wasn't quite sure.....

Seems like an alternative might be to contact Bartolini.... seems to me that they might be willing to swap an unused long for an unused short..... but if you're good with the routing/filing, have at it. If you have any other confusion with the wiring, there are a couple of links to J-bass wiring schematics in this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197012

Good luck!

5. Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Hey Big Beef Dog
    Project done!!! If I did not have the bass apart and the everything ready to go, I would have taken your suggestion on getting 2 neck pu's. There have been some complaints that people could not find replacements that fit. Supposedly there is one EMG that will work.
    The bass sounds great and the 'B' string has come alive. The bottom end has greatly improved. (and it growls)
    I need to go to a meeting but can't wait till later tonite to have a chance to really try it out.

And here is a quote from my wife after she knew me for a month...

" You need adult supervision"....my wife

6. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    All right, cool!! Amazing what a little modding can do for a bass...

So when are the DPDT push-pull pot and the series/parallel wiring going in?

:smug:

7. Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Can you tell me more about your last sentence. Do not know what that will do for me.

"So when are the DPDT push-pull pot and the series/parallel wiring going in?"

I was thinking about putting in the Seymour Duncan STC-2P preamp. It was designed for passive pu's and it uses the same amount of knobs (blend, master volume, and stacked bass/treble controls). The mod is basically a little soldering and drilling one hole in the pickup guard for the slap switch.

:hyper:

`

8. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, I did say that a little tongue-in-cheek..... but series/parallel switching for Jazz basses is a cheap mod that many folks, myself included, swear by......

The best place to start is the "Series/Parallel switching" section of the Pickups FAQ:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111547