Squier Classic Vibe Club (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. P Cheen

P Cheen Chelsea Blue is the colour! Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Agree, it’s too costly to produce a single line of basses where the truss adjustment is at the neck heel. The notch in the pickguard is most likely only for show.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  2. Those CME images look like computer renderings to me, not photos. Probably just an error.

Tooned, Yahboy, alack and 2 others like this.
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Agreed. I do some occasional Photoshoppery and it does look like a rendering. It's a decent rendering, but probably cobbled together from their vast supply of clip art and website images. :bookworm:

4. 73_Blazer

73_Blazer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2018
    So I haven’t read through the entire thread but what is the general consensus on the Squire made in China? I bought this one for $249 about 14 -15 years ago

I just spent some time setting it up and the action is really low and it plays really good. It’s about 1.9 mm at the 12th fret. It sounds decent too

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  5. 73_Blazer

Jan 16, 2018
    DFC0E4C0-8B6B-4AAD-AE12-F8A733F67CAE.jpeg

6. KoalaOnBass

KoalaOnBass

Feb 18, 2016
    The Chinese CV's are regarded as being the best basses Squier has ever produced and have become very sought after in the last few years (they go for more used now than they originally sold for) due to the significant drop in quality after the factory was moved to Indonesia.

73_Blazer and lowdownthump like this.
  7. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Maybe immediately after, but nowadays the Indonesian made ones are just as good. Squier recently has been doing an excellent job.

Porkchop2, sloppy_phil and mexicant like this.
  8. Malak the Mad

Nice CV '60s Jazz you've got there! I've had two over the years, as well as a neck used for a parts-bass project. One was good, the other was great and the standalone neck was pretty damn good, too! Many of us agree that the first generation, Chinese-made Classic Vibes were some of the best that came out under the Squier name.

I, for one, would love to get the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison between a CV and a Japanese-made Squier from the Eighties. That would be a cool A-B test to take part in.

What's the first two numbers on your CV's serial number? That will indicate the year it was manufactured, but I'm gonna guess it's either an '08 or '09, the former being the year the Classic Vibe series was introduced.

73_Blazer likes this.
  9. Malak the Mad

While I wholeheartedly agree that the first-gen CV's were probably the best ever, I'd like to respectfully disagree on the "significant drop in quality" part, as well as add a little more history to the discussion. :)

During the early 2000's, the Squier Standard and Vintage Modified series' were both produced in Indonesia. But, in 2008, a lot of interesting things started happening within FMIC. The Standard series was getting phased out, the Classic Vibe series started arriving in music stores, but most importantly, there was a big push to improve quality control across the entire Fender/Squire lineup.

A number of series' underwent some considerable revisions and interchangeability of parts became almost universal. That meant one could swap out parts between most Squier and Fender basses. There were some outliers that were somewhat incompatible (I'm looking at you, Squier Standard and Squier Deluxe basses! :sour:), but for us tinkerers and modders, a whole host of possibilities suddenly became possible.

On a related side note, I feel I should the Fender Modern Player series. Starting in 2011, Fender produced a series of interesting batch of instruments that were produced in China, possibly in the same factory as the Classic Vibes. It only lasted for two or three years and a part of me still kicks myself for passing up the opportunity to get one of their Transparent Black finished, humbucker pickup Jazz basses. :banghead:

ii8mcryznagjj2kmibos.jpg

10. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Totally agree! I absolutely love the first run Classic Vibe as much as the next bloke, but sometimes I see too much sparkle in people’s eyes when they talk about those instruments. Those were excellent, especially 10-12 years ago when that quality of an instrument was unheard of from the Far East. Today it’s looking like it’s the norm.

shojii, sloppy_phil and Malak the Mad like this.
  11. Malak the Mad

That's a very good take on it. Back then, they were stellar…diamonds in the rough, so to speak. Now that quality control has improved top to bottom (note: I did not say "perfected" ;)), it would probably be more accurate to say the "Vibe Classics of yore" can hold their own against their Fender-y brethren.

shojii likes this.
  12. 73_Blazer

Jan 16, 2018
    94921C04-5634-4495-8B25-212FB7815B90.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. Malak the Mad

So, if that serial number starts off with "CGRI", then it's a 2008, but if that "I" is actually a "1", then it's a 2010. Without another "1" in the serial number, there's no way to tell if they were using a serif or a san-serif font.

Can anyone else lend a hand and confirm this one way or the other, please?

73_Blazer likes this.
  14. KoalaOnBass

KoalaOnBass

Feb 18, 2016
    That's an I. I checked the serial of my Squier, which has 1's in it, and they look different.

15. KoalaOnBass

KoalaOnBass

Feb 18, 2016
    For reference: 20210721_210857.jpg

73_Blazer and Malak the Mad like this.
  16. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I think 1980s Japanese Squiers might have an issue with this statement regarding their Chinese descendants. And I disagree that there was a "significant drop in quality after the factory was moved to Indonesia". I know some people have had issues but Ive owned several Indonesian Squiers and never had a qc problem with them.

sloppy_phil and Hotwater84 like this.
  17. KoalaOnBass

KoalaOnBass

Feb 18, 2016
    You're right about the Japanese Squiers, I knew somebody would point that out :D I should've said said "the best recently produced Squiers". That's good to hear about the Indo CV's, although it has to be said they're getting much more mixed reviews than the Chinese ones. The hardware is also objectively worse (the old ones came with a high mass bridge and brass saddles, for example, and the tuners on the newer ones are supposed to be the same as on the Affinity series). Still, I don't doubt they're still a very good value for money.

Hotwater84, shojii and grrg63 like this.
  18. Malak the Mad

Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbsup:

So, is it much of a stretch to assume there was more than one factory involved in producing the first-gen Classic Vibes? I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone on the forum who has some insider knowledge.

19. 73_Blazer

Jan 16, 2018
    I'm sure it's an 08 then because I bought it brand new at GC while I was living in Seattle. I was back in Idaho in 2010, thanks

I have 5 other American basses 2 G&L, 2 MUSICMAN and 1 Modulus too. This really is an awesome bass compared to basses I paid much more money for. You can see why I never gave it any attention until now when I am learning to do my own set-ups and adjustments. I figured i'd start with the cheapest one haha. Now it plays as good or better than my others

lowdownthump and Malak the Mad like this.
  20. My indo 70s CV p sounds great after I put Lollar P-90s in it and changed out the pots. The construction of the bass was really nice as well no hot spots on the fretboard, the stock pups are the weak link IMO. But turning a $450 bass into fender player series price territory is kinda looney on my end, but I guess that’s part of the fun.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021