1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Classic Vibe Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RC52, Jan 8, 2012.

1. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    I have tried to find some issue with this bass, but I CAN'T!

Intonation is perfect, finish is perfect, sound is awesome, feel is great! I even left the roundwounds, which I understand are D Addario rounds, that came on this bass on, even though I am a long time flat wound guy!

Anyone who has bought one of these Squier Classic Vibe, white with tort basses, we have gotten one the the best basses at any price point. Frickin ridiculous!!!!!

I just wonder how long will it take Fender to realize how underpriced this bass is :).

2. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Love those CVs....they are awfully nice. I think the guitars are even nicer! The 60s tele is sick and that new Jazzmaster (J. Mascis) looks killer.

I have had the 50s P the 60s P and the 60s J - I thought the J was likely the closest to its 'big brother' followed closely by the 60s P. All great value in that they play great, look great, sound good too!!

I think its time for another J finish as these have been out almost 4 years now....Shell Pink 60s J bass anyone? :)

3. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I just wish they could make them out of a different wood. Either Alder, Swamp Ash or Mahogony:meh:

4. why??? do you think it really matters??? Have you read the thread where Mr. Atkinson from Atkinson basses made a bass out of a 2x6 piece of scrap lumber?

5. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

Apr 13, 2011
    Meh, I have a 60's CV P and absolutely love it, but also wish they had used a different type of wood for the body.
    Doesn't really have anything to do with tone, just basswood is a softer wood.

6. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    This is my point as well. I had an Ibanez that was made of basswood, and the screws started pulling from the bridge. I also had a cheap p bass copy that I was going to refinish, but by the time I had the paint stripped, I ended up ruining the body. This was my fault, stupid me used a sander and never thought about a wood stripper. Hinda makes me nervous cause I ordered a Tobias Toby that is made of basswood, well maybe it will change my mind. If not I will laminate some walnut and maple and build a nice body for it in the summer

7. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    Strat hater, the wood? Dude! This bass when I play it unplugged, FEELS! I mean ,I feel the bass as well as hear it! Usually, you feel it only with an old , pre CBS Fender !

8. I have tried the Jazz before at the local GC, and compared the P bass to it...Totally prefer the P bass. I ended up buying a Matt Freeman signature which is the same as the Classic Vibe, and I really CAN'T put it down! It's that good!

I don't want Squier to stop producing CV quality basses...I could totally build an arsenal of basses for every situation with little money.

Next on my list...James Johnston signature Jazz, LPB with matching headstock, and I'm searching for another P bass classic vibe in fiesta red or sonic blue used to use it exclusively with flat wounds.

9. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    I played 3 or 4 Classic Vibe Jazzes, before finding " THE ONE" !

10. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Needs some more color options. Shoreline gold, anyone?

11. Surf Green !

12. Biga173rd

Biga173rd

Apr 18, 2004
    New York, NY
    I wonder if they will ever release a CV 5 String Jazz? il buy it in a heart beat

13. +1 :bassist:

So far people have liked the Vintage Modified version...So a CV version would be awesome!

14. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    The Deluxe Active V is excellent too so there are already some great Jazz V offerings from Squier. A CV Precision V on the other hand would fill a gaping hole in the Fender/Squier lineup.

Ken

15. Choices in finishes would be cool...although we ARE talking about squier...less options = lower price...right?

Although I would looove to see other pre cbs colors offered!

16. I think they know, seeing that folks have been raving about the CVs for more than 3 years now.

17. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Does anyone know if the neck on the Squire modified '70's is the same neck on the Geddy Lee ?

18. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    HTML:
    Does anyone know if the neck on the Squire modified '70's is the same neck on the Geddy Lee ?
    Not even close.

Chuck