1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier sand down - first time!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sj_bass, Jul 21, 2012.

1. sj_bass

sj_bass

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    So, I got a CAR Squier P body a couple weeks ago from art Guy. Nice weight, but the chips and nicks I was not a-diggin... So, I thought maybe I could give it a road worn look.

I used 220 to take all the poly off and to sand down the armrest area - and a few other areas - down to some bare wood. I was afraid that the body would have no grain or something worse, but it came out ok...

I then proceeded to use wet 400, 600, and 1200 before smoothing it with 000 steel wool.

Results? Well, its not bad - definitely better than the old poly gloss nicked finish.

Questions and suggestions are welcome. I still don't know about a pickguard or neck - I have a brand new maple neck, or I could use an older jazz rosewood neck...

Pics:

ForumRunner_20120720_221714.

ForumRunner_20120720_221741.

ForumRunner_20120720_221817.

Attached Files:

2. it would look totally vintage with like a smoke/ coffee aged white pickguard!

3. sj_bass

sj_bass

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Hmm, I've got a wbw PG that I could coffee stain myself - I do love me some java! I might have to go with a rosewood neck, though...

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Mighty mite does a fine fender replacement neck for little coin ($100). You could also go with a used squier VM or CV neck.

Definitely get rid of the cheesy one piece pick guard that comes stock on those basses. And some aged chrome knobs would look nice on that bass.

5. sj_bass

sj_bass

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Necks I have... there's a brand new maple p neck, a rosewood j neck, and a rose fretless j neck.

I love playing maple necks, they're great in the dark clubs that I tend to perform at with my bands. Problem with the maple neck that I have is, its so new that it looks a little out of place on the road worn bass.

The rosewood necks might be a better match, but they're jazz necks.

Decisions decisions...

6. sj_bass

sj_bass

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    I forgot to share a final pic of the bass... I went with a maple neck, Gotoh bridge, and a hand wound pickup from a friend of mine.

It sounded fantastic - perfect balance and a smooth feel from the body, and that pickup would sit in the mix so well...

I went to sell one of my jazz basses and this bass was still in the double gig bag. The guy bought it instead - I doubled my money!!! :hyper:

Sorry about the crappy pic - I only had the bass together for a short while...
    8557522323_c56f137401.

7. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    That's pretty awesome! The neck looks great on there.

8. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I'm slowly earning a reputation as a relic hater on this forum, but I must admit I like this. One thing I see on the closeup of the forearm area is the slight sharktooth edge to the wear. I've had this happen stripping a bass as well. Do you intend to leave it or smooth it down?

For some reason I want a red P-bass with a rosewood neck and a 'mint' pickguard. Look like you got there first.

Food for thought;

[​IMG]

9. PatQ

PatQ

May 11, 2011
    Siegburg, Germany
    I dig it :) That's my 2007 Squier Affinity Precision with a Mighty Mite maple neck:
    [​IMG]

10. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Would look really snappy with an anodized guard!

11. sj_bass

sj_bass

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    I did smooth it down - just a little bit. For me, it was more about comfort; I don't care much for nicks and gouges in the body, and the poly finish would just feel sticky even if I felt a little sweaty... The bonus to this bass was threefold; a super light body, smooth surface to the touch, and the fact that the body was only $40 made me feel like I didn't have to be careful with it!

Funny thing is, now that it's gone... I kinda miss it. Oh well, on to my next project!

12. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Was the bass light to begin with, or did it shed weight as you took off finish? I've been stripping an SG body (and getting rashes off the mahogany dust!) and found the finish so thick that the guitar will weigh a lot less after I'm finished!

13. PatQ

PatQ

May 11, 2011
    Siegburg, Germany
    I've got an black 1 ply pickguard around that I want to try out, may look cool. Don't like the anodized pickguards that much, and I would have to work on it with salt acid again. That's what I used on all metal parts :)

Oh, by the way, this bass has a nice decal on it :D
    [​IMG]

14. sj_bass

sj_bass

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Basswood (or whatever Squier bodies are made of) is pretty light to begin with. I may have sanded an ounce of poly off, but that's it.