Squier Standard Jazz vs Yamaha BB234 [suggestions]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dead_doomed, Aug 20, 2020.

1. hi guys! well after the failure with the godins, I found this two basses I am between:

Yamaha BB234 at $380
    Squier Jazz Standard at $330

I was thinking if I buy the Squier Jazz, I'd sell the EMG active pickups it has and buy some Fender passive P-J ones to made the mod to P-J.

what do you think? am I wasting my time? do you have a better model recomandation for look for?

thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    To be honest, it seems like too much effort and a roundabout way of getting a PJ out of that Squier Jazz. I don't know what basses are available in your area and their relative prices, but what are some of the qualities you look for in a bass and what is your price range?

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I don't understand. The BB already is a PJ bass and doesn't need modification. Why not just buy that?

Reedt2000, PotsdamBass8 and Vinny_G like this.
  4. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Why bother? If you want a PJ take the Yamaha, it's a really good bass. But take it now, don't wait a month. ;)

Reedt2000 and dead_doomed like this.
  5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
  6. mostly the look, I prefer the satin dark grey and the jazz body shape..I guess I'm a bit picky

7. I was thinking in spend some like between $350 and $500.

I like the warm and fatness of presicion sound but I look for something more versatile to home recording, that's why I lean to P-J configuration, it has the precision sound but you can add some more attack and definition with the bridge jazz pickup.

I live in Chile and normally there are good offers but with lockdowns stores got out of stock (I was about to buy the BB234 in vintage white but stock out) and people got reluctant to send instruments to another "states"

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I can totally relate to not being excited about "another black bass", but the BB234 also comes in red, white, and natural.
    You might be surprised to find the BB more comfortable than the Jazz.

Reedt2000 and dead_doomed like this.
  9. actually I was to buy the white version but it is out stock in Chile :( Yamaha has some bottleneck importing here, not like Fender (I believe the importer company of yamaha here broke 2 years ago)

what you tell me really impreses me, the shape of the BB's body looks it would feel like hold a sign backwards ... but I have a Ibanez TM302 so I guess Im being hypocrite haha

Ggaa likes this.
  10. wmhill

wmhill Inactive

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    buy the
    YAMAHA... skip the skwyre

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I agree, I love PJ basses for that same reason. My favorite sound is the classic passive P bass - add a jazz bass pickup to it and it adds a lot of tonal variety to an already good sound.
    Aesthetically, I'm a little with you on the Yamaha. For the life of me, whenever I see the BB bass, it reminds me of an upside down lollipop. But it's a good lollipop as they make very solid, good sounding basses of great quality. :) I currently own a TRBX 304 bass and it's been really dependable even though it's one of their more inexpensive models. Very happy with it. I know the BB basses are great instruments too.
    Squier makes a few PJ basses, the Affinity PJ which has the P bass body but PJ configuration and they also have the medium scale CV Jaguar. You might be able to find a used VM Jaguar which they discontinued, but they made full scale versions.
    Some models here in the US are also backordered due to the quarantine and meeting demands, the Ibanez TMB30 for example is backordered until Christmas in most of the bigger stores.

preview.jpg 642889.jpg

dead_doomed likes this.
  12. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Yamaha, good.

13. Buy the Yamaha..... Its a great bass

Lackey likes this.
  14. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Get the BB. You could probably find a used 434 in your price range, actually maybe not in your country.

dead_doomed likes this.
  15. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Yamaha. Hands down

16. JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Yamaha, but buy a new one. They're $299 brand new.

dead_doomed likes this.
  17. where I live they are at $495 :(

18. JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Off sweetwater? Or musician's friend? Or zzounds? Or guitar center?

19. JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Oh, you're in Chile. Dang. Well that sucks. Still, 380 ain't bad though.

20. yes, I'm in Chile, this sucks haha :roflmao:
    (help)

BTW, I looked for one in Reverb, Sweetwater etc ..but with shipping it was almost the same thing :unsure: