1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Vintage Modified 70' Bass, a good buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tjoneo, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Tjoneo

Tjoneo

Jan 9, 2012
    I'm thinking of buying this awesome looking bass, but I want to know if anyone can recommend it.
    Slap and pop is my style, is it good for that?
    Thank you for any replies!

2. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    if your getting the amber one with the maple neck GO FOR IT!!! I just picked one up from MF for 238.00 and its the best 238.00 i have ever spent...the day it arrived I couldnt put it down and was almost late for work...I cant believe its a squier nice quality bass for the money,I compared it sound wise to my 61 p bass and it sounded just like it,I got this bass cause I worry about my 61 getting jacked or damaged (cant replace this one) Ive been playing bass for over 35 yrs and I can tell you you wont be disapointed with the squier VM p bass.Im gonna gig with it from now on ya I know theres alot of bass players out there that are gonna rip me about it cause its a squier but its all about what feels good to you and puts out the tone and sound you want and need...and also Ive tried some of the new Fenders and they felt like dogs to me but this bass is fast,punchy and fun to play I love it,I would rather have this bass than a MIM Fender just feels alot better.It also has a 5 star rating on MF also a best seller so get it you wont be dissapointed..Squier has come a long way with this bass!!!

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I don't own one but I have almost played the strings off the five string version in a local shop as I try to find the perfect 5er for me. It is quite attractive, well made, and sounds great. The Squier line is pretty much the definition of good buy. They are very good basses at quite low prices. I have yet to find one that is better than my MIM Active Jazz four but the differences between those two lines are less than the price difference indicates. In absolute terms the upper end Squiers are perfectly fine basses and even a bit luxurious. That Squier VM 70's Jazz V is still on my short list. In the end it will come down to which bass plays the best for me and the jury is still out on that one.

Ken

4. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    Yep, bought this Jazz one last year and I love it.
    Really, really great value for money.

5. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    I love the look of these and have often considered getting one just because it's not a lot of money for what I want looks wise - natural finish, j with white blocks. But having purchased another brand of budget bass it seems that pickups on basses like this have that "woody" tone through the mid range. Do the VMs have this in the tone? The cost of gust swapping is what keeps me from doing it.

6. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida
    Get it. You won't regret it. And that's a steal at $238...

Jazz_Tele_IMG_0161pb.