1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brozzy, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Doesn't seem there is a club for this model of bass.

I have a 2017 in Natural, unmodified as yet.

Anybody done any useful mods to one?

Attached Files:

2. aborg1

aborg1

Jan 8, 2012
    20180115_063352.

3. aborg1

aborg1

Jan 8, 2012
    20180115_063422.

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    8EBFB1A9-5B81-4B8F-964B-D1FA39366BC3_1.

Duncan SJ5-3 pickups, Duncan 2-band Blackout Preamp, A/P switch with passive tone control always in the circuit, WD high-mass bridge.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  5. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Hi. did the holes on the WD bridge line up? Any drilling? thanks

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Only the one on the very end by the G. I filled the rest with match sticks & glue and drilled new ones.

7. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Got it thanks!

8. Thanks for your replies. I was thinking I was the only one in the club!

9. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Here's mine. Got it over the summer. I just put a red tort pick-guard from Amazon a few days ago. Honestly there's really nothing that this bass "needs". It was gig ready out of the box. I'm considering a bridge if I can find one reasonably priced because the high profile of the screws are snagging on the lining of my gig bag. Otherwise perfectly functional. squire.

TakeABreak and Mr. Majestic like this.
  10. Prokfrog, I like the black knobs rather than the original chromes. Are yours after market?

11. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Thanks. Yeah the black knobs give a good look. I poached them off my SX jazz bass. They are the push on type. I lucked out on the fit. From what I’ve seen, they are pretty widely available online for pretty cheap.

12. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I’ve replaced the PU’s with Reed James Custom Neodymiums and it totally removed the “hum” from my system.....they sound truly awesome, too.

I’ve been looking into a new pick guard....will a regular Fender 5 string PG work?

13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Nice!
    I have found that it is best to shim the neck with a thin piece of sand paper (I used two pieces of 800 or 1000 I think) to get just a little bit of neck tilt, and raise the bridge saddles enough to get the adjusting screws down about flush with the tops of the saddles.
    If you replace the bridge, chances are you will run into the same problem...like I did...but I replaced the bridge because I just didn’t like the original.

dabbler and prokfrog like this.
  14. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Here is a screenshot of the pickguard from Amazon. The merchant name is on the top. I’m not sure if a standard Fender pickguard fits

Attached Files:

Mr. Majestic likes this.
  15. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    finn.
    name: FINN

bassman74 and Mr. Majestic like this.
  16. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Got the pickguard, pickup cover and the brass nut installed. Looking for a new bridge, tuners, and knobs....possible preamp. This bass already sounds truly awesome....

DB95A07E-A967-446E-8552-7DA25C336023. A76513D2-4A93-4521-AB23-148B7B917F57.

himluis1 likes this.
  17. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Nice! Did the nut require any fitting? Are you running stock pickups?

18. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    himluis1 and prokfrog like this.
  19. aborg1

aborg1

Jan 8, 2012
    I added 3 band Mings 9030 preamp, side jack and bassmods battery box. The pickups are the seymour duncans that will compete with any jazz pickups in my book. This my fourth one of these and I finally decided to create my own version, won't be selling this one. I love it, preamps rocks and dead quiet. It go head to withany Jazz Bass for my money. I will be adding a dual midrange switch as soon as my caps\resistor testing is decided. I especially love everyone who rates these as lowend basses. I sold four of my other high basses and added to my Suzuki M109R purchase.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Mr. Majestic likes this.
  20. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey

Nice! Which model Seymour Duncans did you put in?