Squier VM Telecaster Bass ? Any Good ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HarlequinsRugby, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hey everyone, I recently asked about the VM Amber P Bass, but I also found out Squier has a VM Telecaster Bass, does anyone have one?/tried one ? Are they any good ? I am looking for an upgrade from my affinity jazz. Would you choose the VM Amber P Bass or the VM Telecaster Bass if you had to pick one.

Thanks in advance!

2. Yodhan

Yodhan

Dec 10, 2007
    I am looking to get the amber P myself. I am not a fan of the mudbucker in the tele P.

3. The telecaster P is going to be fat,thumpy, and not a whole lot of definition. Pretty much the opposite of what your Jazz bass is. I'd go with the regular split coil P.

4. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Only if you are curious as to what a bass sounds like when buried in mud.

5. I've played them both, and I like them both. If I had to pick, I'd go with the VM P in amber with the maple fretboard. The VM TB has the thunder, for sure, but IMHO the sound seems rather one-dimensional. I don't know if I would be happy with one as my only bass.

Both these basses are common enough that you should be able to find them at your local big box music store. I would definitely say to go and play them both yourself and see which one you can't live without.

6. I owned a VM Tele bass a couple of years ago and although I liked it, I have to agree that it was not the bass to have if you only own one bass. If I had a stable of 4 or 5 basses, I might have kept it. I'm much happier with my Shifter 4 these days.

7. I had one for a couple years, muddy as all hell, one note, but that neck was something to behold.

8. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    How is the neck on the VM Tele as compared to the CV '50's Precision? I had a CV '50's for a few days, but ended up utterly hating the neck so much I returned it. It was just a lot thicker than I remembered when I tried one out in the store. It reminded me of the baseball bat neck of my '87 Pbass. Is the neck on the VM similar in thickness?

9. I remember my VM as having a P-width neck, but a little more shallow, not really like a baseball bat at all. It was sure comfy.

10. I had the VM Tele for a while before I bit the bullet and replaced my 73 Tele bass, it does have a very unique sound with the "Mudbucker" I like the sound, its the only bass that sounds that way and the VM Squire P/U is very close to the original. I think it looses a little of the 73's sound as it is made from much lighter wood and at the Squire price point you could have two and money for gas (for your car)

11. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    I have the amber P and I love it. I would also love to have the Tele, too, but as someone else said, not if it was gonna be my only bass. If I was to have only one, it would be the amber P.

12. Just going from memory, both necks seemed pretty similar to me when I played them, although I remember I wasn't crazy about the gloss finish on the CV neck (nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little steel wool, though).

I checked out the specs on the Squier website.

CV 50s P:
    Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
    (Gloss Polyester Finish)
    Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
    No. of Frets: 20 Vintage Style Frets
    Width at Nut: 1.65” (42 mm)

VM Tele P:
    Neck: Maple, C-Shape,
    (Polyurethane Finish)
    Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
    No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo
    Width at Nut: 1.60” (40.6 mm)

According to the above, the CV neck is wider at the nut, sports vintage frets and has a modern C-shape, while the TB is a little narrower at the nut, comes with medium jumbo frets and has a standard C-shape. Fretboard radius is the same on both.

Like I said, I didn't notice a huge difference between the two, but I have ham hands. YMMV.

13. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I've wondered about these, played a friends tele bass (CIJ) a while ago and loved the low end (mudbucker) and the neck.

I'd have to defret it though.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021