Squier vs. fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Justin89, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Justin89

Justin89

Jul 6, 2008
    the dirty
    are there any real differences between squiers and fenders?
    or is it just the name?
    any personal experiences with this?

2. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    I play a vintage mod. jazz freteed w/ dimarzio 123's. I love it. Befor any mods I liked it more then a mim. Fender is usally know to have better electronics and a lot of thier bodies are alder and that is what a lot of people prefer.

3. I have both marques, and they each have their merits, and they both get gig time.

4. Kareir

Kareir

Nov 24, 2008
    Um, well, fenders tend to be of a higher quality.. and of course, there's a lot going towards the name :bag:

_Kar

5. Body woods, hardware, pickups, finishes.

Mike

6. Justin89

Justin89

Jul 6, 2008
    the dirty
    well, is a fender worth paying for?
    im not in a band or anything just more of a hobbyist

7. That really depends on you. Many people here are very satisfied with Squier's new offerings. Regardless of where, with whom or how much you play, you should buy the bass that you like the most within your budget. That said, I wouldn't look past the Squiers.

Mike

8. Kareir

Kareir

Nov 24, 2008
    hmm, that depends, on your budget, the amount you play, how long you've been playing, whether you like the feel, etc.

Tbh, if i had a high bass budget at the moment, i'd get something a little left-field, away from the classic brands. Maybe a Warmoth custom or something.
    Basically, my point is, dont just limit yourself to Fender or Squire if you want a new bass. Explore! :p

_Kar.

9. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I think people "prefer" it because that is what Fender has traditionally used. It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario.

10. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I don't know...I'm almost infatuated with my MIM, I've used a few squiers and nothings ever really come close to how good it feels/sounds.

I say if you're going for a squier, skip it and pick up a used MIM.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's like anything else, (generally speaking), you get what you pay for. Not to be taken as gospel, but for the most part, if an instrument is more money, it probably has better parts and is better constructed. That said, the current Squire's seem much better built than those of 20 yrs ago, and so are the current Fender's. If you're just wanting to goof around with it, save your money and just buy what you can afford, so long as you like how it feels, and sounds.

12. birdie num nums

birdie num nums

Dec 20, 2006
    Are the current Squier's better than the old Japanese ones? For example SQ or JV series?

13. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    There is a difference. Of course there is. Squier have been knocking out some decent stuff recently but they are far from perfect. Fender also has it's fair share of quality control issues, but most of the time I have found them to be very acceptable instruments.

My Squier is a decent bass. It has a number of flaws, though. First of all, the bridge is misaligned. Not so much that it causes problems, but if you look closely you can see it's off by about 1.5 or 2.00mm. That's quite an irritation. The frets are rough at the edges. Cleaning the fretboard with a cloth, it snags. One fret has a buzz which is virtually unable to be cured and won't go away with any amount of leveling. The neck screws and plate are awful quality. The screws are too thin and fall right through the holes in the neck plate, so essentially the plate is useless. Electronics are a bit cheap. The block "inlays" and binding are painted on. The body wood (soft maple) is a little too soft and lacks any kind of attractive grain.

I was never expecting an 100% perfect bass, but these are annoying problems that probably wouldn't appear on, say, a Japanese-built Fender. You do indeed get what you pay for, but Squier still shouldn't be overlooked. It depends om what you expect, your budget, and whether or not you mind tweaking and replacing parts, etc., etc.

I would rather pay a little more and get a CIJ Fender, but my budget won't currently allow it. The Squier will do for now, though.

14. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    From my experience, no they are not.

15. :rollno:

16. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Explain. Don't just post a stupid smily.

17. Uhmm yeah, like an American Fender Jazz Bass will run you over a grand and a Squier is under $300, go figure. Everything, brother, the wood, hardware, electronics and mainly the name.:eyebrow:

18. I didn't know they had that many problems :eyebrow:

19. Projectile

Projectile

Feb 5, 2009
    I know some people here like Squire basses, and I don't think they are terrible instruments, but honestly if I were on a tight budget I would go for something else like a Yamaha or and Ibanez. I think they give more bang for the buck.

If you really like the classic fender look and sound, then I would save up and get a MIM Fender. It's not just the name. Squires are nowhere near the same league as even the MIM Fenders IMHO. The American Fenders are far superior instruments, and probably some of the best crafted basses available today. You get what you pay for.

20. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    There's definitely a greater level of hit and miss there. The Squier P-bass Special I currently have I would say is at least close if not on par with the MIM Fender I used to own. In fact, I'd even go as far to say that the pickups in the Squier sound better than the pickups in the Fender did.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021