Squire CV70s vs Sire V5. Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hurdea Darius, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Hurdea Darius

Hurdea Darius

Aug 11, 2019
    Hello! I watched over the CV Squire for a long time, since it was out of stock for months here in my country. I currently have a 5 string Cort bass, but always wanted a 4 string JB, preferably Fender style, but original Fenders are too expensive for my budget.

The VM sound would've been ideal for my tastes. I can't find any used VMs nearby, I gotta stick to the CV model, which for me sounds a little too fat-muddy. Blindfolded, a Fender compared to a Squire gets instantly recognized by my ear. I just like the Fender much more. Then I get upset because I can't afford one lol

I don't like Marcus Millers' sound signatures. They are just too "meaty" for me, too "beefy". No matter how much I try (becaue I tried for so long), I just don't get along with their sound. But I don't hate them.
    The first time I saw the V5 was some time ago. Honestly, I ABSOLUTELY loved the neck look. But then I moved on since I just couldn't like it's sound. However, I decided it was worth taking a look at it again. And oh my god, the neck is SO HANDSOME!!!

I thought about buying some Fender PUs and replacing them with Sire's. But this would be pricey... The Squire unmodified is the best for my budget. The Sire unmodified is a little above my budget, but still in the range. The Sire combined with the Fender pups would be above my budget. Then I thought about the Squire combined with the Fender pups, which would be great.

So what do you say?
    Is the Squire unmodified exactly what I need? Should I change the pups with original Fender's? And do I overthink the situation?
    How does the Sire's neck really feel? It looks amazing!
    What is the way to go?

Thanks in advance

2. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I just bought a used Squier P and a new Dimarzio pickup, price ratio 5:1 The Squier seems perfectly worthy of receiving the exact pickup I want. I encourage this route :thumbsup:

3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Cort GB74JJ.
    Same volume Passive/Active.
    Jazz bass tone but more upper mid bite.
    Humcancelling.
    70s jazz neck profile. Thicker meanwhile round smooth.
    ASH body , no neck dive since stock turning machine are high quality light weight Hipshot.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022