Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

squire p sucks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x182, Apr 20, 2004.

1. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    not sure if i spelt it right. but they suck. i won't go into detail ill just say it sucks the joy out of bass guitar.

i could either sell the amp i got with it and replace the neck, strings, pickups, and pots.

or i could sell the bass and amp and buy a different bass.

i figure i could get 300 for the pair.

should i just sell the amp and make the squire decent.
    or try to find a bass for 300?

(candian dollars)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Have you tried the easy changes first; technique,strings,setup, eq, etc.

Try all of these before thinking about buying a new bass.

Think positive, instead the stuff you dislike about it, think about what you like about it.

3. Maybe you just suck.

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    lol

5. There are worse basses out there. A little tweaking will go a long way on a low end bass. As stated above, change out the strings, 20% improvement right there. Everything else can be adjusted to taste. Pickups raised/lowered, action raised/lowered, neck adjusted if required.... there are a lot of things that can be done to salvage a mediocre bass!

6. sell all of it and get a new bass... upgrading a squire is like putting a nice brass steering wheel on a ship while its sinking

7. CrapBass

CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Heh, you got it ALL wrong....You cant get any worse than a Rogue SX-100B. I wish I had a squier to start out with instead of a POS rogue.

:p :spit: :crying:

8. Well, strings aren't terribly expensive (Not enough to constitute selling a bass and buying a new one), and setup is free if you do it yourself, which you should because its a shame to pay a guy at the local guitar store money to move a couple screws.

Can't say I've played too many squiers though. I started out with 2 basses and an amp that was better than the ones they have packaged with the squiers (I think), for about half what it would be to buy one of those bass packs. Just play around with it and see what you can do.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Without some details, how can we help? Is it the tone? The playability? The colour?

10. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    put Rotosounds on my Squire and it is passable. the set up on Squire bass is horrible so try tweeking around. Dont tweek to much though or you might break the bass into....no Joke. I almost did to mine trying to tweek the "truss rod" :eek:
    Anyway it aint the gear its the chops...if you can plug that little Squire into a $3000 Aguilar head and see what happens... ;)
    Yea baby the Isley Brothers are Back!!!

11. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I would agree that Squier basses aren't the best in the world... but I still think mine sounds pretty sweet when unplugged. It pains me that it doesn't convey the sound into the amp, but I can't complain about the fullness and the punch of it unplugged. Sure a warwick would be nice, but if you really got down to it, would a $700 bass really make you play better and want to play more? For me, I doubt it... it'd be fun at first, but once the thrill wore off, I think I'd play it as much as I play now.

Oh and Tyler, that SX is an awesome price. wow. and in lake placid blue... mmm. AND with 21 frets. Squier/Fender P's only have 20.

edit: any word on how well the elec. guitars from rondo music play and sound? I want an elec guitar, but don't want to pay much for it... and also want something that plays semi-decently :p

12. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Squier powered, i think thats why some people on this website buy basses so much, it puts the joy back to into playing bass. I will say i have 4 basses and i play my newest one by far the most. They all have a purpose but i like playing my more expensive basses more than my cheaper ones. I think theres a range at which a bass doesnt really get any better. Its higher than $700 though, past about a grand a half your not gonna get a much more playable bass if you look around.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Probably closer to $5,000 than $1,500. I've played several $1,500-$2,000 basses and there was a HUGE variety in quality, tone, and playability.

Anyway...Mr. Quak's probably right. When I started, I thought my equipment sucked, but frankly, it was all me. Yeah, Squiers aren't the best instruments, but at least take some of the responsibility.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $300? Nah. $100 for the bass, max, $50 for the amp.

15. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    Give your squier a full adjustment job and a set of new strings. That can make a big change.

I use a squier J-bass and a Fender J-bass, and both sounds good and have good playability. Send your squier to a guitar-tech and let them do the job if you don't want to do it yourself. If you want better sound after that, get a replacement pickup (www.lundgren.se is a great place to start).

good luck.

16. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I think he's talking canadian dollars...

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I had a Squier P over here at Camp Bovine a few weeks ago. Belongs to a drummer friend of mine who is learning bass in his off time. It was "unplayable", according to him, so he sent it with me for doctoring.

I didn't expect much. I took the old high tension cables off of it and put some TI Jazz Rounds on it. Tweaked the neck for proper relief and adjusted the saddles, and hey, guess what?

I had fun playing it for two days. It was a pretty good bass, and it has some competition over here with Stingrays and Jazz basses and Bongos and so on. I really liked it, and I played it quite a bit.

Sometimes it's all about the set-up. I think he paid 100 bucks for that bass, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better bass for a hundred dollars.

18. For the Lundgren website, you may want to catch up on your Swedish ;) . My first bass (an I still have it) was an old beat-uo Ibanez Roadstar II and a 15 watt piece o' poo Crate amp. I quickly upgraded to a 30 watt ampeg combo and the sound was much better. Then I got a 100 watt Fender Bassman combo, and the sound improved more. That and a set-up (including new strings) turned that Ibanez from complete crap to a half-way decent axe. I still have both, and play once in a while. But since having a Fender USA J and Gibson T-bird, I play those more (through my bigger rig). If I were to sell that Ibanez, I'd probably only get @ $75, so hey I'll keep it. My only problem now is I need a new speaker for the Bassman :( .

Squires are low-end, but there are a lot worse. Mess around with your tones and come up with different combinations!! :bassist:

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a Squier afiinity P-bass, and with the right srings, and the EMG pickup that is in it, it is one sweet little bass. One i don't have to worry about getting dings and dents. But I still take care of it. I agree, setup goes a long way in the enjoyability of the bass. Then you put in some good electronics, and you have got yourself a player!