Squire Precision basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sterman666, Jul 17, 2005.

1. sterman666

Jul 9, 2005
    I bought a Squire Precision 5 sting bass, i have not tried it yet (got it on ebay). what do you guys think of them?
  2. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all...

~Ryan ;)
  3. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I like my brothers squire. It doesn't feel like the best woods were used. But it still plays ok I guess.
  4. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    the older ones are good. heavy but lots of sustain and loud unamplified.
  5. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    All the Squier's I've tried were pretty good for the money - QC is pretty bad, as some were much worse than others, so try befpre you buy. One thing I found with all Squier's is that they're really trebly and almost impossible to get a meaty tone out of them.
  6. :cool: I have a Squier "Standard P-Bass Special-V". It's really quite nice. Not just for the money, but PERIOD. The fit and finish are good: no blemishes, tight neck pocket, solid turning tuners, good feel to the pots, everything fits the way it should. The sound is quite good: Deep, full, on all five strings. It's appearance is also quite nice: Antique Sunburst with a T-Shell pickguard. The staining of the rosewood fretboard is even (much to my dismay as I really like multi-colored rosewood, unstained). The neck is wide, but with 3/4" string spacing, they usually are (not a problem to me as don't like the narrow spacing ones). It's solid, no rattles, no problems, no major show-stopping complaints.

Now when you factor in the money, it's absolutely amazing.

Are there things that I don't like about it. Sure there are. 1. The satin finish on the neck; I prefer high gloss finishes. The neck side markers are miniscule; they could definitely be bigger. It has two volumes instead of a balance; I prefer balance controls.

What would I change if this was my main 5-string bass? 1. I'd change the VVT to VBT. 2. I'd probably change the pups, but not a big priority . 3. I have my luthier install larger side marker dots.

But, it's really a nice bass that belies its price. It's nicer than a lot of basses I've played that cost considerably more. Try one out before you decide. It'll probably surprise you.
  7. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    To add to what I said earlier, I did actually go to the out of town guitar centre and stayed for an hour or so just trying out basses to compare them to the warwick I tried out yesterday (Btw the Variax bass sounds real nice when played acoustically, but I couldn't figure out how to turn it on!) and I tried out a Squier jazz just for the sake of it... It was a little trebly, but man did it kick ass! Slapped real nice, had that classic jazz growl, felt really nice, no sharp fret edges... My only criticism is that the finished was a bit cheesy, but I might even buy that bass!
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have a quick rant.

Thank you that is all. :)

Actually, i'll throw in something intelligent.

My first bass was a Squier affinity P-bass. I didn't know anything about basses when I got it, but it played well and sounded well to me. Four years later, I still play it, but I have defretted it. I think it needs new pickups. I still claim that the neck on my Squier is the best neck i've ever played. It's sooooo satin and fast. Too bad it's not 24 frets.

It's normally hit or miss with Squiers though.
  9. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I use to have that bass. And it Kicked ASS....I don't care what anybody says about it If it had Fender or that bass that starts with an "S" they would all sing it's joys... I only got rid of mine because at the time I was going back to play guitar. Then when I decided I wanted to play bass agian I regreated it.
    The one I had the neck was as big as a freak'en tree. The neck the finish where perfect. Sounded great. And if you play it at a club and some drunk guy deciedes to throw his beer at you. You wont be going all spastic as you would for those nice expensive basses. :D
  10. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I played one of these at Guitar Center not too long ago..

It played and sounded better better than most every bass I have played there. IF i were in the market for an inexpensive bass and SX's weren't available. I would hunt one of these down.
  11. I used an Indonesian Squier P-Bass Special for a couple of years and I had no real problems with it. I had to keep an eye on the truss rod and tighten it a little more often than on my US made instruments (that's what truss rods are for!), but it sounded fine and played great. Thanks to the good set-up, I sold it for what I paid for it after using it for 2 years. If you know how to set up an instrument, Squiers are good basses for the money.
  12. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Hard to say. Fender, including Squiers, aren't exactly famous for their quality control.
  13. Squiers are decent basses. Quality control is iffy - some last, while some fall apart. Overall, the sound is nothing spectacular, but it nails the P tone (just not as well as a real one due to the cheap pickup used). If you get a good one it'll last you years, and either way it'll most likely last you till your next bass, if you decide to upgrade. It's a great bass to start with, in my opinion... mine has now been converted to fretless, and it's more than decent. A new pickup and a proper neck sanding, etc, would be in line, but it's a nice backup.
  14. I don't have any complaints about mine. Mine's also a fretless now; that seems to be a popular thing to do. Anyway, I don't see myself ever needing another fretless 4 string, if that tells you anything.
  15. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    before i bought my SX, i tried many squiers. SX's were better, and cheaper IMO at the time.