1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squire Vintage Modified Jazz - should I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billlozon, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Squire Jazz

30 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Squire Precision

22 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Replace Traben Phoenix pups

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. billlozon

billlozon

Mar 7, 2013
    NY
    I play a Traben Phoenix now but yearn for that deep Motown thump from "back in the day." The Squire Vintage Modern Jazz seems like a steal for $300 or less all over the web. Would that been a good move or should I either consider a different Squire model or change out the Phoenix pups to something else?
    Thanks for any advice/recommendations.

2. RadioRob

RadioRob Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2012
    I was in your same boat.
    I have a Traben Chaos V that I love but also wanted the classic sound.
    I got a Fender Jazz V MIA and love it. It is passive not like the traben.
    But for the thump you are talking about I got a Squire Pbass and put flats on it, now thats a thump.
    I am in the proses of upgrading it now but you really only need flats for the sound you want.

3. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    S-Q-U-I-E-R

sorry to be that guy, but it's a pet peeve. people are doing it around here way too much.
    get a precision bass, they can do it all.

4. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I agree with Gord_oh..if you want Motown,then it's a Pbass with flats all day

5. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    That Squier Jb is a good option. I also own the Squier 50s and 60s Classic Vibe P Basses. Recommend checking out the 50s CV. Good thump.The 60s CV P Bass has a Jazz neck and is no slouch tonewise.

6. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Nov 26, 2012
    So. Cal.
    :D

7. You can't go wrong with a Squier VM or CV, either the J or the P. Awesome basses, period. Then when you look at the price of them, its just that much better of a deal.

8. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I've got VM P Amber with maple neck and VM Jazz 77. They are both exceptional instruments. P has kind of unique and limited sound, while Jazz has a range of very nice sounds. From the other side, Jazz has a bit of noise (typical), while P is dead on. I would recommend both of them.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you want the Motown thump stop looking at Jazz basses and get a Precision (and some flats to really nail it). Amp choice has pretty well zero impact as they can all nail the motown sound.

10. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    I love mine... It is a very nice bass and is comparable to some of the actual Fenders I have played.

11. jperala

jperala

Dec 1, 2008
    Finland Espoo
    Jazz Jazz Jazz :)

Attached Files:

12. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
  13. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
  14. Get both Squiers. the Jazz and the P. I did. :D
    Seriously, if you're going for that old-school Motown vibe, get one of their P-basses.

15. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Jan 24, 2013
    Your cheapest way to Motown thump would be a Squier Precision with flats.