1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stack issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boognish, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Boognish

Boognish

Sep 24, 2008
    Ok so after months of shopping around and comparing cabs/pricing, I've finally found a setup that makes me happy....almost.

I recently acquired a very nice Ampeg Classic 1x15 and just this past weekend topped it off with a GK BLX 2x10. I'm running the two with my ol' workhorse SVT III Pro.

The rig sounds super until I stack the cabs. The GK sits directly on top of the Ampeg with no space in between. Could this be part of the problem? If so, is there an easy quick-fix to this? Maybe something to separate the 2 cabs? I have no problem with the cabs side-by-side in the practice space, but I won't be able to use that much floor space in some gig situations.

Any help is much appreciated.:help:

2. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    What happens when you stack them?

3. Boognish

Boognish

Sep 24, 2008
    Oh, I guess that would help huh?

The 15 seems to go "dull". I'm not getting the same thunder from it that I do when the cabs are side by side.

4. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    1. you could just leave them side by side..

2. i like my 15s ontop, try that.

5. Do the battery test. Place a 9V battery across the speaker cable plug. With the tip connected to the positive terminal of the battery the speaker cone should move out away from the magnet structure. Make sure both cabinets are doing the same thing. If one moves out and the other moves in your speakers are out of phase with each other.

Paul

6. Boognish

Boognish

Sep 24, 2008
    Ok, I'll give the battery test a shot.

Is there a way to get the two cabs in phase with each other if they are out of phase?

7. if thats the problem, you need to swap the connections in the cab (so +ve to -ve and -ve to positive).

could also be that the phase difference is quite radical, and some of the low end is cancelling itself out, instead of adding. thats why mixing different cabs can be a bit hit and miss