1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stack or Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScottB., Sep 14, 2008.

1. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Devon, UK
  2. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Devon, UK
    bump

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This is a topic of many threads. The benefit of a combo is having just one thing to carry, unless it ends up getting too heavy. For this reason, I see the point of small combos but not big ones. The benefit of separates is the ability to mix and match components later.

4. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    click on my user name and check out some of my earlier threads. lots of useful info about that specific rig

5. Dogsferatu

Dogsferatu

May 22, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Depends on the type of playing you are doing. Are you in a steady band or doing session work or sit in gigs? How are the clubs in your area(s), do they provide decent PA systems, etc?
    I do mostly sit in work and actually have the Ashdown combo you are looking at. It has worked fantastic for all my gigs, even the heavier "rock or pro rock" jams I've been in the others have been impressed with the sound.
    If you plan to run your sound without a mic or DI, I would get the cab to connect with the combo. That would help to boost the sound for those types of gigs.
    Be warned, a lot of non-bassists turn their nose at combos. It generally takes one song for them to realize the power I have with that. Most the time I just use my combo as a monitor for me and the drummer and run a DI out.

6. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Devon, UK
    Thanks for the replies, I'm probably gonna go with the seperate head and cab, because at the moment I have a behringer combo which i'm getting rid of to get the money for new rig, so I'm thinking that after I've got two cabs I'll be able to leave one at my drummers house(where we practice) and one at mine and taking the head inbetween.