Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stage Presence

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MichaelScott, Sep 15, 2004.

1. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    What are some things you guys have done (or still do) to put on a visualy entertaining show when you play live.

2. head bang.

3. got people up to sing songs. Its fun, if you don't over analyise it.

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    My band does that stuff too. Sometimes we'll go out into the front part of the crowd, while playing, since I use a wireless, and one guitarist has a 40' cable. Other than that we jump around, one guitarist throws his guitar around his body. We usually just do whatever comes to mind while playing, we've never premeditated any of this kind of stuff.

5. My guitarist hides in the corner.. sometimes even behind the drummer. :ninja:

One gig i borrowed a wireless unit from a friend..
    I got to go into the crowd and do body shots at the bar they had setup... while playing bass.

But yeah head banging.. foot on monitor.. Ass shaking.. :D Running around on stage.. for your fun-party gigs..

But if its just something abit more serious.. ie Church/wedding thing..then just stand there i guess..

6. our singer has been known to breakdance:D (floor texture permitting) - spins on his back in House of pain's jump around and Alien ant farm's smooth criminal.
    he also did it once in Live's I alone-
    which almost had me falling over laughing...

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    one band i was in played "celebrity skin"
    when the singer said "then you all fall down" i used to fall backwards on the floor and kick my legs up (room permitting) :p

8. -Spin in circles on stage
    -Do a James Brown or Pee Wee shuffle across the stage
    -Run around in the club, dodge between people on the dance floor (wireless)
    -Swing headstock up and down in unison with the guit*r player

:D

9. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    1) Headbanging
    2) Dancing to the groove!
    3) "Dave Grohl" jump, with both knees up to my body
    4) Bass Face
    5) Crowd interaction
    6) Raise my left leg above the neck of my bass and play

Depends what the situation calls for. Sometimes its best just to stand there, play the groove, and feel like one slick cat.

10. ATREYU!

W00t.

11. you can easily over-due Number 3...

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What I think the crowd would expect an artist to be is ARTISTIC!

Now this is what an artistic artist looks on stage:

[​IMG]

That's right, it's Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull fame. And on stage, he's complitely cookies. Of course, behind the stage, he's a total well-behaved gentleman, but on stage, crazy.

So the lesson for today: rock stars act weird. They live, breathe and move to the music. I wouldn't have my audience seeing me any other way when I'm performing.

13. He's also one of the wealthiest men in Great Britain. He's made loads of money off fish.

The trick to stage presence is to maintain energy without 'overdoing' it. I used to stagger around a lot, until I realized I was subconsiously stealing Jimmy Page's moves. Now I'm old and beat up- posing does just as good! :p

No Shoegazers.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Look up. Smile. Nod or tap my foot or otherwise undulate in a rhythm that roughly matches the tempo of the piece.

15. For some reason,I have a problem with looking at the audience,I get nervous and tend to lose my time.

16. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I have to bounce around, bang my head (even with my shaved head!), or do the Angus Young dance when I play. Standing still messes up my groove.

17. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    just naturally let the rhythm go through your body. Don't hold your self back from moving. It also hellps if your in shape. Basically don't be a guy on stage thats trying to hipe everyone up. Be the guy on stage thats hiped up. And if u can't get hiped on the music your playing maybe u should rethink the set list

18. What's a Bass Face?

19. The usual rockstar posing, like Townshend-style windmilling, cueing a song's final punch with the bass neck, looking up in the air or closing my eyes while playing some hypnotic groove, dancing, standing on one leg Claypool-style, bending over or kneeling down during an outro, shaking my butt, going next to the guitarist and make some rockstar poses with him, even some headbanging...

I look like a total jerk, really. :bassist:

20. Shoka42

Shoka42

Jul 19, 2003
    england
    The face you make in that *really hard* solo, or just cos you want it to seem as if its really hard. Some people scrunch up, others stick their tongue out, others just space out, it's individual, but instantly recognisable!