1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stagg bc 300 - Converting in to Fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mustafa Umut Sa, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    Does removing frets allow the strings warp the neck ?

2. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    One presumes you will fill the slots with something so you should be fine.

3. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    I dont think I can fill the slots , it would be a dirty job and ruin the fingerboard surface. But may be can syringe epoxy , I dont know how to prevent leak from the ends. If I adhesive sellobant , it will stick to neck , , may be sanding the board edges with paper solves the problem ?

4. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    There are lots of options. Epoxy, wood veneer glued in, plastic strips... Just sand the board level after and it'll be fine.

Leaving the slots will accumulate dirt and debris over time. Also, the chance of chip out when removing the frets will not be attractive.

5. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    Hand craft is not me. I will leave the slots open. Does it weaken the neck and how I can prevent warping.
    Guitar costs 55 dollars and luthier would be may be same.

6. You willed to fill the slots, or the neck will warp out.

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    You need to read the sticky at the top of the forum. Here's a link:-

Defretting ?

8. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Leaving the slots open will weaken the neck and encourage warping.

Fill the slots. It isn't a difficult job. Alternately throw your $55 dollar bass in the bin or sell it to somebody else, if you are so unwilling to do any sort of work. The job is worth doing properly if at all, otherwise you will wreck your bass over time.

Dare I ask how you are planning to remove the frets?

gebass6 likes this.
  9. You profile doesn’t say where you are but, in the US, a hardware store, craft store of hobby shop will have wood verneer or plastic strips in the .020” range that will glue right in the slots and require minimal trimming and sanding. Worst case, wood filler could be used and the board sanded.

If you can’t or won’t fill the slots perhaps you shouldn’t be pulling the frets either. Done remotely well that’s a more difficult job then filling afterward.

Best of luck either way.