Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stand mounted speakers for bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, May 20, 2005.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I didn't end up keeping the PUB I had for a minute, but I remember liking the way it stand mounted, and the way stand mounting cleaned up the muddy bass frequencies that we all have to deal with in one way or another. I also liked the way the stand got the speaker up over the body of the bass and all but eliminated sympathetic vibrations from the amplified signal - this is especially useful when using a mic.

Anyway, just last week, I had Gary Falk install stand mounting plates on two of my current speaker cabs - a VL108 and a VL208. I've played a couple of gigs with the 108 with the Focus on top, and the results were perfect: clear, open sound with no mud, and the added bonus of having an easliy positionable personal monitor. The stand is an aluminum PA stand that weighs 3 or 4 pounds and lashes easily to my stool and dolly with a bungee cable...not for New Yawkuhzz, I admit, but perfect for midwesterners and anyone else who takes a car to the gig. I'll try the 208 tonight, but so far, this has been an experiment with extremely pleasing results.

2. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    This sounds like a great idea. I must say, however, that your stool must be getting extremely heavy with all the stuff you lash onto it! :eyebrow:

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You'd think so, but it's actually not bad. The Focus weighs 4 lbs., the bag and cables maybe another 3 lbs., and the stand weighs another 4 lbs. Considering that the only other thing I need to put on the folding dolly is whichever cab I'm using, it's still an easy one-trip deal including the bass. I'm going to post some pictures of the gig rig soon. :)

4. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Chris,

How high above the ground are you placing the speakers?

-bob

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ear level for now (probably about 5' 6" at my seated height), but the stand would allow anything from about 3 1/2 to 7'. The amount it clears up the sound is amazing, and I can actually roll back my high-pass filter on the Focus quite a bit and still stay clean.

6. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    I use an FBT Jolly 8b--(8" w/ horn) on a mic stand and I love it. I use it alone If I am running direct or w/ a 2nd cab. I put it about ear level and it really helps me hear the detail. i made a little adapter sleeve to fit in the pole mount so I could put it on a mic stand.

7. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I always raise my cabinets up a foot or so, maybe up to 2 feet...on whatever stable and light object, such as a small bench or chair, may be available. Ultimate makes a nice folding amp stand that does the same thing when no benches are handy. Again, off the floor but not more than a foot or so.

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I decided that if I ever get around to buying a nicer cabinet, I will make sure I have a way to raise it up off the floor. But right now, with my Contra, I sort of have to leave that on the ground due to the way it's designed.

9. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    I put my Contra on a case or chair with the bottom speaker facing fwd when playing at higher levels. The floor facing concept works best at lower volume levels IMHO.

rgds Oystein

10. phlybass

phlybass

Dec 18, 2003
    [QUOTE

Anyway, just last week, I had Gary Falk install stand mounting plates on two of my current speaker cabs - a VL108 and a VL208. I've played a couple of gigs with the 108 with the Focus on top, and the results were perfect: clear, open sound with no mud, and the added bonus of having an easliy positionable personal monitor.

.[/QUOTE]

Chris, please include more information on the "stand mounting plates" installation and pictures when available.

I also find the focus on top of a cabinet very handy, but have been placing the cab on top of a plastic egg crate thingy, only about a foot off the floor... well below ear level and a potential source of feedback.

Speaking of pictures, how did the tailpiece mount of your AMT work out?

Thanks for all your input.

Regards, Alex (aka phlybass)

11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am using the Auralex Gramma pad. What an amazing difference! Tightens and focuses. No more mud, escpecially in the lower frequencies.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Gary took off the standard EA "kickback plate" on the bottom of the cabs and replaced it with a flat aluminum plate with a large hole in it. Into the hole, he inserted a stand mounting sleeve (the stand goes into it, and an inch or two up into the cab) which mounts onto the aluminum plate. Gary did all of the machining, and painted the plates black so that they match the cab perfectly. Best of all, he didn't have to cut any new holes in either of the cabs to install the stand mounts.

I played a gig on the stand-mounted 208 last night, and it was so easy to hear I was grinning the whole time and just having fun playing music without worrying or futzing about tone. Even the club manager commented on the tone!

It's working great - just waiting for my brother and his digital camera to come over so we can take some gear pics. The "plug and play" aspect is really, really nice!

13. I've found a stand mount cleans up the low end. Putting a cab on the floor gives +3dB extra lows. Putting it back against a wall gives another + 3dB, so you can end up with uncontollable amounts of mush on stage.

My current amp is a bit too big for a tripod stand so I've made a light 'drop-on' cover for it (plywood with aluminium angle) that doubles as a stand. It looks better than a milk crate and provides some protection in transit.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I know I'm gonna sound like a nutcase for admitting this, but tonight I played a gig using two VL108's stacked on a single stand, with the lower speaker pointing towards the drummer and the upper one at me. The sound was incredible, and the drummer (one of my faves) told me it was the best and clearest he'd ever heard me sound. The Focus was set at about 9 o'clock, and I could hear perfectly (except for the crowd noisily ignoring us :rolleyes: ). It looks pretty goofy, but it sounds amazing! Now if I were a total basket case, I'd have LDS design me a single 2x8 cab in the same "x/y array" format.

Yeah, you're right: I need :help:

15. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wow, I just checked this thing out on the web - very interesting.

16. "I am using the Auralex Gramma pad. What an amazing difference! Tightens and focuses."

There's lots of hype about this gadget, but it really works. However just about any collection of foam and carpet under your speaker will do a similar job. Try slicing some pool noodles in half, glued to a piece of ply.

17. Yes, but you're not. Besides, what if you wanted to adjust the angle to fit a different venue or band configuration?

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, then I'd have to change the design to one in which the upper array was adjustable, so that it could be rotated up to about 90 degrees. See, then the two components could be connected by a metal swivel that the wire travels through the middle of. It would of course have to be some sort of system where the swivel could lock. Then there would be an attenuation control, sort of like a "pad" knob which would allow control over the volume sent to each part, and...

:help: :bag: :help:

19. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Chris,
    Maybe you could just apply some industrial velcro to the top of one cab and the bottom of the other so they stick together when you position them. Then again, that might deflate the G.A.S. bubble... ;)
    -jk