Standing on your bass, psychobilly style

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Chaddycakes, Apr 20, 2013.

1. I've seen a few players doing this recently. NOW I GOTTA DO IT! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

Any tips? I know I have to put the end pin all the way down and balance the bass between the end pin and where the bass makes contact. I weigh about 230lbs, does anybody (qualified and not just a jerk :p ) think that's too much? I don't want to damage my baby girl... but I do want to be the bamf in town.

2. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    230 huh? My sympathy to your bass! :D

Seriously, if it's built like a tank--shouldn't be a problem.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You have to have the proper endpin to stand on it. I have a big giant endpin in my bass and standing on it is impossible with it. Best are those little ones like Kays and Englehardts come with.

4. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366489238.298280.jpg

What about this end pin? It's a nicely made fully carved bass, but I sure don't wanna smash the thing. What really makes me want to jump on the thing is I saw Corey Kaiser with the Million Dollar Quartet on Broadway. He was doing a bunch of psychobilly stuff, and the climax was when he jumped on the bass and the cast crowded around him while the continued playing. Amazing stuff. He had a custom bass with very bright white binding on every edge, a wireless and I think a K&k bass max rockabilly pro pickup if I could tell from my nosebleed seats. That bass must have been built like a rock as you said cause he's a tall dude. Incredible chops too!! He throws it over his head, on the ground, plays in on his knees, spins it in the course of a whole note, all without missing a beat. A choreographed show, but it was so exciting to watch and gave me a lot of great ideas.

Back to Brian Setzer I go for the real deal.

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I'm 150lbs and I wouldn't try it. I'm always suspicious that the rockabilly guys have had their basses braced specially to deal with the load, and the minute I try it on an un-prepared bass I will go straight through it.

6. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Old friend of mine use to do this. He was a big guy, seem to remember him keepin his left leg on the floor with the rest of him on the bass.

Rest in Peace Aaron Pope!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    That's a nice heavy duty endpin that looks like the one in my Upton. Doubtful it'll work for standing. And I'd NEVER stand on a carved bass, and yes, I have seen and heard of people destoying nice basses by doing it. The vast majority of standers are doing so on plywood basses that they either don't care so much about or they're overbuilt.

8. How's this? The Bass is on it's side, and the lead guitar is standing on the wast, while the bass player is sitting on the shoulder playing.
    IMG00557-20110929-2326.png

This is a Rock'a-billy band called Motel Parking Lot, out of Fresno CA. It was a blast watching these guys. I would go back to Fresno just to watch them (and to meet up with the fun Redhead who brought me to the show!)

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Could you get someone to video tape you trying it the first few times?
    It could be epic!

10. If the 230-pound OP stands on his carved bass, there may not be a second or third take.

OP, that's what Engelhardts are for. I weigh in around 175 after a big dinner and once got halfway up onto the '51 Kay I used to have. It started creaking and I got down in a big hurry.

11. untitledtopher

untitledtopher

Jun 17, 2010
    philadelphia
    Employee, Gollihur Music
    I don't recommend it, but I've seen guys bigger than 230 do it. my Kay doesn't mind, just make sure that your foot is perpendicular to the ribs, on the trim around the edge...I would not do it on a carved bass though...[​IMG]

12. bass81800

bass81800 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    San Diego County, CA
    One tip I would have for you is to run this by a luthier. Better now than later!

I have actually been at Lemur Music in CA when they were doing work on a bass so that someone could stand on it. Involves a lot of work and special types of reinforcements.

13. Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Maybe sometime soon ill talk to the local wiz, Sal Giardina, with the idea.

14. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    A plywood bass can take more abuse than a carved bass. That being said, I'm 6'4" 240lbs, and I won't stand on my Roadking which is made for that kind of abuse. It could take it a few times, but the show factor just isn't worth the risk to me. I might let my 160lb guitar player though... I'd never do it on my '53 Kay. I just glued up all her seams, and she deserves a certain level of respect befitting a 60 year old survivor of the Detroit school system. :)

15. Maybe worth looking for one of the old fiberglass basses to do this on. You could drag those behind your car with no ill effects. Seriously, I'd look for a second more rugged bass like that to use for those kind of antics!

16. Pics please. I'm sure most of us LOVE a fun redhead

17. I hate to admit it, but I do have a thing for the red's. I accidentally picked up the nickname "Ginger Hatton" because most of my friends have red hair and freckles.
    303857_464810740206230_415572851_n.jpg
    Here's two red's, and me in the red shirt playing the mandolin.

18. Tell me about the fiberglass basses. Who makes them, and do they sound any good? I would love to have something durable and weather resistant to take to the music fests.

19. Will Wolfgang

Will Wolfgang

Nov 10, 2011
    230lb? In high-school I was light like 140-150ish and overtime (years we are talking) made some soft spots and other damage in various plywood Basses. You can do it, but 230 is pushing it. Once I broke 160lb and Gigs became a constaint I had this build to stand up to the abuse. For years I have jumped up and down on it, thrown it, and put it through all forms of abuse. Solid as a rock. Ever think of going Aluminum?
    2luy47.jpg
    t4ty0z.jpg

20. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    I would absutely love an old Alcoa bass. Unfortunately, my aluminum welding skills are pretty caveman-esque as far as building one goes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021