Standing on your bass, psychobilly style

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Chaddycakes, Apr 20, 2013.

1. What is that evil-looking winged Al bass you're standing on (if that's you)? Looks awesome. Also, there's a dude in a camo kilt.

2. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    I'm by no means an expert, but this thread caught my eye. I seem to remember reading something about guys who stand shaving down some of the proud edge of the top on the side that touches the ground to increase the footprint/spread the load out.

Any more info on this? or am I just a madman?

eerbrev

3. Will Wolfgang

Will Wolfgang

Nov 10, 2011
  4. Will Wolfgang

Will Wolfgang

Nov 10, 2011
    It is me and that is my custom Angel Bass made by MAD Crusher Custom Basses. He has only made a few Basses but if your interested I could get you his contact info.

5. viking power

viking power

Jul 5, 2012
    Saw this guy the other night. Freaking awesome! Band is Angie and the Car Wrecks. Bass player is a showman! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1371364656.909010.jpg

6. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    There are quite a few videos of this concert featuring multiple bass calisthenics
    This one has pretty good sound

7. PattyHearse

PattyHearse

Oct 11, 2013
    Missoula, MT
    How on gods green earth do I come across one of these? what is the sound quality like?

8. You pm the owner if google comes up with nothing

9. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I have seen Reverend Horton Heat in concert probably half a dozen time. And, two things will always happen at their shows.

1- Jim Heath will always make the same joke/song into about meeting a cute girl on the street in your town the day of the show.

2- Jimbo Wallace will stand on his bass.

He's not a small guy, seems to work for him :)

10. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    An old AlCoA aluminum bass will handle it, no problems. I once did a band photo shoot with four big guys standing on the sides of #72. Try it on a Pfretzschner and it will look like you stepped on a beer can.

j.
    www.kaybassrepair.com
    www.condino.com

11. How about standing on somebody else's bass?
    [​IMG]

12. Johnnyacoustic1

Johnnyacoustic1

Mar 8, 2013
    That's cool if you only weigh 8 stone I'm built like a brick out house !
    What would I say when the whole gig went south !!

13. littlemark

littlemark

Feb 13, 2011
    Toronto
    Discounted Gear: Euphonic Audio
    I'm going to reaffirm that you should NOT stand on a carved bass. Furthermore, and this is IMHO, bassist should spend more time on playing and perfecting their sound and less on standing on their basses. It's "impressive" for an audience, once maybe twice. But it's so choreographed and ridiculous. It doesn't normally impress musicians. Not that that should be your goal. Don't get me wrong, I have done it before and in front of an audience but I was young and stupid. I felt like a performing monkey after a while. I would rather be known as an interesting sounding bass player than an interesting looking bass player.

All that being said, I haven't seen anyone play a bass on a bass before lol. And for the record I am still impressed by the Tielman Brothers. But more so because of how smooth they are. It's not as herky jerky as most bassists tend to me. But again, choreographed performing monkeys.

14. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Good advice. Brian Setzer should have thought of that before he hired those two guys who obviously need to spend more time woodshedding and "perfecting their sound."

:rollno:

Chuck King likes this.
  15. littlemark

littlemark

Feb 13, 2011
    Toronto
    Obviously you need two bases to play rockabilly. That's why they are called double basses. Anyway I wouldn't look to Brian Seltzer or the BSO on how to play rockabilly or swing for that matter. Have you heard the bass sounds from his bands. They don't sound like acoustic basses at all. Makes me cringe.

I know it's sacrilege to dislike Brian and the stay cats but I do. He wanks to much and is too loud and distorted. Im getting off topic.

16. electracoyote

Well, I'm no DB expert, but I have all recordings by Stray Cats and Setzer solo and Orchestra. If this is wankery, you sir have some pretty high standards indeed.

17. littlemark

littlemark

Feb 13, 2011
    Toronto
    I do.:)

18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    And now we know what the best DB is for Metal! Great looking bass, who makes it?

19. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If Jimi Hendrix were still alive, he'd be standing on his strat for sure. (perhaps he did) It's all about where the musician sees himself regarding entertainment and showmanship.

20. electracoyote

I just took in The Million Dollar Quartet here in Denver. Bass player Corey Kaiser (in the role of Carl Perkins' brother Jay) does some nifty standing on his upright along with a guitar player. He lays across the side at one point while kicking his legs, never misses a note. And that dude can play.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021