1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Star Wars - December 15th

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fingerguy, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yes. That would've made more sense than a whole side adventure to get some code breaker which included jail time taking place all within the period that the slow chase was happening.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Open to space, but protected by a force field, just like the Death Star docking bay in A New Hope.

latest?cb=20130221055742.png

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Makes sense. Although the bombs appeared to be dropping as if gravity applied. I didn't see any thrusters on those bombs. Shenanigans, I tell ya.

slobake and Mushroo like this.
  4. Bad guy spaceship captain: "Their ships are smaller and lighter; they can't outrun us but they can stay far enough away that our guns won't penetrate their shields". I know that won't satisfy anyone looking for consistency with physics and engineering as we understand them, but to the filmmakers' credit they did "explain" it.

blue4 and Mushroo like this.
  5. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Good point. Have to see the move again. Was there anything pushing the bombs out the chute? Exlplosions? Mechanical device?
    I liked the move a lot better than the Force Awakens. Still, Klylo is no Darth Vader but more like a demented teen-ager. He definitely has serious issues. Not that Darth Vader didn't be he reacted in a different way.
    Did anyone else notice that all the top leaders were women? I don't have a problem with that but I think it indicates where our culture is or is headed in some way. I'm okay with that too.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    shadowtippy likes this.
  6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I’m so out of this storyline I’ve been reading spoilers and Wikipedia. Oh yeah, Ben Solo! Lol.

Sad.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  7. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Lots of spoilers here. I'm glad I didn't read the thread until after I saw the movie.

crucislancer likes this.
  8. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Star Wars ships have had shields since the beginning. Some don't, like the TIE fighters. They give up shields for speed. But most do.

Both the rebel ships and the First Order ships were moving at top sublight speed at all times. They Rebels couldn't jump to light speed because the First Order developed a way to track them and the jump would have left them out of fuel. So they kept moving allowing them to stay out of lethal range so their shields wouldn't deplete.

I just saw it. I enjoyed it. I know it's got some Sci-fi holes, but Star Wars has always been as much a fantasy story as it is Sci-fi.

tfer and Justinvs like this.
  9. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    That, Sir, is no way to talk about Laura Dern.

1513029421393.jpg

tfer, Oddly and shadowtippy like this.
  10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yah, quick question vice admiral purple hair, when exactly did you have time to go to the salon? Aren't you running for your lives?

superdick2112 likes this.
  11. Obviously, she comes from a planet where everyone is born with purple hair, but she dyed hers brown as a show of rebellion. She also got several body piercings, but since this is a Disney flic they didn't make it to the final cut.

Oddly and superdick2112 like this.
  12. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    With respect to tone, casting, and plot coherence--it reminded me of an Iphone commercial.

13. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I enjoyed it. Over the years I've learnt to leave logic and common sense at the door going to the movies, so I don't get too upset by obvious plot gaps or stupidity.

On the subject of cinemas with red buttons to have more beer delivered to your seat, thereby inconveniencing everyone whose view is now getting blocked by the server, that's a cinema I'd not be visiting.
    I can just about tolerate popcorn, then some damn fool thought nachos'd be a good idea, and now it seems normal to bring any sort of food in, preferably with the noisiest packaging possible.
    And of course there's the morons on their phones.

Honestly, I rarely go any more, unless it's something like Star Wars, which I do feel needs a big screen/sound system to do it justice ... for first viewing anyway.
    If I ever win the lottery, I'll be building a home cinema, and that'll be me done with sharing movies with the rest of the world.

superdick2112 likes this.
  14. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    The theater where I saw it had AMC Dolby, and it was awesome.

15. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I saw it at an IMAX 3D theater. The seats were comfortable, but I've always thought that 3D is a bit of a gimmick. They either over do it, or don't really use it.
    The movie was a tad long, and there are a dozen ways they could have cut out 30 minutes. I don't mind them torching a lot of arcs from the previous movie. Laura Dern and Benicio del Toro were horrible. The SW movies have always had zero respect for basic physics or plot continuity, so why start now.

Oddly likes this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why does Po Newhansolo have to tell his ball robot to punch it? Is he not in charge of propulsion? Does the pilot only steer and the droid works the the accelerator? Po works the brakes himself.

17. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Maybe he was just trying to remind the Alliance that droids can fly ships, just in case they want to try something like, I don't know, maybe suicide hyperspace ramming?

superdick2112 and Oddly like this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021