Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

starer bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silverstreak21, May 11, 2005.

1. i was looking to start playing bass and am looking for a bass for about two hundred dollars. If you have any ideas would u tell me please. Ty

2. added not im looking to play a mix of heavy rock and punk.

3. correction really meant to say added note

4. 200bux might be a stretch, but my reccomendation is the Fender Squier affinity P-bass starter pack. Its probably more in the 300 range, but you'll get a practice amp, cable, and some other stuff too. Its a pretty good deal, and alot of people (myself included) start with it.

5. dude, skip the squier, it sucks really bad, trust me... Do what I did, get a Peavey Millenium BXP. They come in 4 and 5 strings, are amazing for the price $220! If you want an amp, Im sure you can find a nice cheap one on ebay or at a local music store.

SKIP THE SQUIER

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Where are you located? If you fill out your profile, it will make it easier for us to help you.

A good place to start with basses under $200 is the Rondo Music website, if you live in the United States.

http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html

The SX brand starts at a little over $100, and is superior to most of the Squiers I have played.

I have an SX BG-80, which is a Fender P bass copy. $99, and it plays and sounds as good as any MIM P bass I have played, for less than 1/3 the price.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I find most cheaper basses will look away after awhile. If you want a long, fixed gaze, it's going to cost you.

:bag:

8. bare with me , im going to sound very dumb but what besides having mores trings is the adavantage of having 5 or 6 over 4.

9. embellisher

The advantages are numerous.

First of all on most fives and sixes, you get 5 notes lower than the lowest note on a 4 string. On a six, you also get 5(or more, depending on number of frets) additional higher notes as well.

You can play 2+ octave runs without having to shift your hands.

It makes sight reading easier.

It opens up more possibilities for doublestops and chords.

And much more.

10. ty embellisher for the help and info. oh yeah and i like your band do u have a c.d.

11. lol i wish i read this thread when i first started! My first bass was a $210 greg bennet corsair samick, not bad but when i realized a little about sound and tested others i put on new pups, strings and a few other minor things, and after a spruce up it works quite well now

12. embellisher

Thanks! Yeah, we have a self produced 3 song CD, Salvation, recorded and engineered in a Pro Tools studio. Three songs. We are going back in the studio in July to record 3 or 4 more.

Here are details on the first CD. http://www.luciddreamerpublishing.com/merchandise.html

You will see another CD listed there too, A Better Way. But the recording quality on that one is not as good. I wish we could go back and rerecord the songs on that one, but we are writing so much new material that we can't even to record all of the new stuff!:D