Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCT, Aug 8, 2005.

1. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I am buying the ampeg B5R head and a 4X10 cab. Give me some feedback. I will be gigging with this rig constantly and I still haven't fine tuned my tone yet and I figure this set up would give me a lot of room to do so with. I'll be playing this with a mexi fretless jazz, so I'd like to see what you guys think... :bassist:
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    What kind of 410 you getting?
  3. sounds good to me. i'd also like to know what kind of 410. but good luck, i'm sure you're going to love it.
  4. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    SVT-410HLF but I'm still not sure there's also a good 410 in the B series, but this whole rig building came about with my new job. I can't wait until christmas. That's when it all happens.
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You could probably do better on a cab. Ampeg cabs can nicely be described as average gear with an above average price tag.
    I would advise you try out a bunch of heads before picking one. Ampegs are not known for being able to do much beyond sounding like an Ampeg. Great if thats the sound you want, not so great if you want something different.

Shop around a bit before you comit to something.
  6. Try out the B-cabs, even though they seem to be marketed as the lower end stuff with lower power handling I liked the way they sound better than the classic series cabs. For $900.00 (new) you could do a lot better than a B5R head, but if you really want the Ampeg sound thats one way to get it.
  7. my reccomendation----

save your back!!!

get a Traynor YBA200 and a Schroeder'll thank me later
  8. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    +1 on the Schroeder cab. I'd go with an all tube head, tho.
  9. the traynor is an all tube head- 200 watts of tube goodness
  10. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I think the SVT410HLF is a great little cabinet. Very easy to tote around and it's loud. It can easily rival the low end of an 8x10, and is seemingly just as loud from the audience perspective. I think it's a good choice. I've never played the B5R, but I'm not a fan of the true solid state Ampeg heads. The tube preamps on the SVT series of SS amps are decent (I own the svt-3 pro).
  11. I definitely say the 410hlf is a great choice. Ampegs are solid and you won't be disappointed... schroeder stuff is nice but you get a lot less for the money. the 200 watt traynor heads are light and powerful.
  12. softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yes the 410 hlf is an excellent cab. and i happen to have one for sale. im willing to let it go for $480 before shipping. or best offer.
  13. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    If anything try out the Avatar cabs, great cabs, great price.

I also agree on the Traynor YBA200...that's my next amp
  14. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I love my 410-HLF, but do be sure to try out as much as you can and find the sound that you're after.