Starting on my first rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Ok. I'm going to start on my first rig soon. I only have about $500 so I am definently looking used.

I was thinking I could pick up an old Peavey Mark IV or any Peavey marks on eBay for pretty cheap like $150 or $200. And then possibly an Avatar cab of some sort. Is Peavey marks good for a starting rig? I currently have a pretty old peavey combo that I like the sound of. Will the sounds be similar?

I also saw a Behringer 3000T for around $200 would this be another good choice? And for a rig will I eventually need anything else? I'm pretty new to this whole idea so help me out. :bawl:

2. I have a Peavey Mark III (old one though, not one of the "newer" ones) and a Hartke 410VX as my first rig. Got it all for $400. The Peavey Mark heads are a good buy for sure.
  3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I got my Hartke HA3500 used for $270.
  4. i have the behringer bx3000t head it is actually pretty good and is pretty loud i also have the avatar 2x12 cab and i am planning on getting the 2x10 to throw on top of it.
  5. What's a reasonable price for the Peavey Marks, $150-$250? And how much should I spend on a cab? Should I go used?

6. Yeah, $150-$250 is a reasonable price on the Mark's. As for a cab, get used in good condition if you can. Might wanna search around on eBay or here on TB for an avatar cab or a hartke (vx or xl, try to stay away from transporter series, I haven't heard good things about them).
  7. Hope you don't mind me asking, but how much did you pay for your Mark III? You don't have to answer if you don't want.

8. I got it $150, but it's one of the really old models. It's 26 years old...
  9. leftseptember

Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know what you're looking for as far as power, but I'm selling my Crown poweramp for around $250. You can find a used SVP-Pro and have a nice rig going. I also have an Avatar 4x10 I'm looking to get rid of as soon as I get an 8x10.

I know it's a little more than you're wanting...but...something to consider.
  10. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    i might be interested in that 410 you got there :bassist:
  11. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You've got lots of cool pedals and toys and stuff, it seems. Your bass looks pretty good too. That's pretty much the opposite of what I'm doing. I just downgraded from an Ernie Ball 5-string fretless to my old Squier. I mean... most of my gear came from a donation I got (make-a-wish foundation).... but still... if you had some of the money you spent on your FX, you'd be in a good spot for a halfstack right about now.

Although, there's still some good options... like the Peavey your looking into. You could probably get by with a 2x10 cab to start off with, as well. I think it'll fit your price range fine.
  12. nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    I would stay away from the marks if I were you. There cheep, and they get the job done, but I've had lots of problems with marks throughout the years. On top of a pretty lame sound I don't think it's worth it. The amp I've been using for the past 5 years was a Peavey T-Max however, and I've got noting but good things to say about them. The only reason I'm not using mine now is that I got a Mesa 400+ monster this week. Another one to look at was the Peavey Pro (i think) 500. It was the head that replaced the T-max, but may be out of your price range. I've seen the T-max's go between 2-300 used on the bay. Last week one in a combo 2x10 went for 331.00. That's the cab mine came out of and I used it along with a Peavey 15" for years for an fantastic combination.
  13. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I don't know where you are in your musical journey, but I'll assume your at the amateur stage with that budget. If your playing with a group and need to be heard, have adequate construction quality and nice tone, then go with an Ampeg B100R. I was a fool for selling mine. Even after you upgrade to a bigger rig(separate components?) down the road, this will prove valuable for practice and rehearsals.
  14. The Peavey amp I have now is great for practice and rehearsals. But I am most likely going to be playing with a guitarist up in Athens at the Georgia Theater which is pretty big and the Combo just won't do it :crying:

15. I'm betting you've played more Marks than I have. The three I've played are both Mark IIIs, but different models of it. Mine is a 26 year old one that runs perfectly, sounds amazing and has showed NO signs of suckyness. The other one I've played was a local bassist's and it wasn't as old as mine, but still a Mark III and once again, sounded totally awesome. And the third one was my friend's uncle's, same one as the local bassist's and it too was awesome (which I'm doubting it wouldn't be since it was the same one).

Not everyone is going to like the same amp and I'm guessing our ideas of what we are looking for in a tone is different which is why we have totally different opinions on them.
  16. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Bigger place.... more money, my friend. I really dont know what else to say. If your not so worried about the tone (which you might not be, with your set of gadgets and pedals) then just pick up the peavey and a half-decent cab. It sucks that your in a hurry. I did months and months of research before upgrading my gear.

I would recommend one of the bigger GK Combos... but then again.... $$$. I really dont know GK's prices.

PS - That BP200 is probably one hell of a fun toy. I've got the BP50 and I think its the greatest thing to hit the planet. :p
  17. I usually have more money but I just bought my warwick. I think I am just going to go with the Peavey Mark and when i get some extra cash I'll sell it and get a better head. I think I can get an alright cab with the left over money.

Yes the BP200 is awesome.....I love the weird noises.
  18. john, how soon do you really need this rig? I think it would be worth it to save up some more cash, get like a GK head and an avatar 2x10 or somethin.