Starting Over?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SteveC, Sep 3, 2010.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

OK, I am fed up with my stuff. I don't like either bass, and I don't know about my amp, either. I just can't get a sound I like. I'm thinking it's time to clean house and start over.

I used to have G&L a long time ago. I want a 5 string, 34" scale bass so an L2500 fits my criteria. It's also quite different from what I've had lately - Yamaha with Barts and Aguilar and a Sadowsky M5-24.

I like my Genz Benz 6.0-12T Shuttle combo well enough, but maybe that needs to go, too. I've never had GK and those new combos seem to be really nice.

I'd like to sell all my stuff, pay down some debt, and get some decent - but not necessarily "hi end" stuff - stuff to replace it with.

What does anyone think? Ever want to just try new everything?

2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Sure, new things are good, but getting rid of the Shuttle combo?

3. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Your suffering a classic case of burn out.... take a week off, don't even think about playing.... then read your post again.... see if you think the same way...
    Tim

4. Vetchking

Vetchking Inactive

Mar 17, 2008
    President G.P.G. Co. "acoustic" USA

[email protected] Here:

Recently a 57 year old lifetime bass player friend of mine, told me, that most bass players are constantly looking for their sound. You guys think that's true? The topic intrigues me.

What do you all say?

Of course I have a solution............... LOL

Have a Great One.

5. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    +10. At one point, I went a year without touching any of my stuff because I was just exasperated with music. Not one note. After coming back, I love it more than ever.

No worries here - just give yourself some space,

6. Golf - everyone wants that new putter. Or how about that new driver. If I could get that 7 iron with the special grooves I know I would play a better game.

The makers of golf clubs count on this to stay in business. I still have persimmon heads on my woods, (come to think of it - that's why they are called woods). If I keep my eye on the ball, have a slow takeaway and remember to follow through they still get me down the fairway right with everyone else. Course I have to allow for a little bitty slice.

I'm not a gear head - as you can by now tell. Technique not gear rules my World. All my gear plays better than I do. I just need to learn how to play better.

For what ever that is worth.

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Don't change everything at once.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Do you still enjoy playing music?

9. SteveC

Yes. I do. We've been playing a lot lately so I could use a little slow down, but you have to play the gigs when they're there as you never know when they'll dry up again.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've gone through it before. Mistakenly sold off a lot of gear that I never should have.

And more often than not, it wasn't that I didn't like what I had---it was usually that I was just bored with it and wanted something different. Then, I would convince myself that I needed X amp and Y bass(es) to get this neat, great new sound that I had convinced myself I wanted or needed.

And then I'd end up regretting it, 9 times out of 10. Or I'd end up sounding pretty much the same as I did with the gear that I had just gotten rid of (still a firm believer that a great part of "your" sound comes from technique--to a point, anyway).

As was mentioned, maybe you just need to walk away from it for a week or two. Leave basses in cases, don't even turn your amp on, if possible. Then, see if you still dislike your sound. Put new/different strings on a bass or two, hell, sometimes that's enough to change things up a bit.

I just don't wanna see you sell off a bunch of great gear, only to regret it in a couple months. Unless, of course, you're just gassin' for new stuff, then, by all means, sell and buy away!!!;):)

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Then maybe just a case of temporary burn-out.

Why not wait a couple of weeks, take it easy, and then look at the whole thing again?

12. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    A new set of strings changed my whole outlook and playing style once. I went from just using the same old medium gauge DR Fat beams to some Dean Markley NPS Medium Lights and poof! I was reborn.
    I can understand the selling unnecessarily expensive gear to just go back to some solid working class gear. I did the same thing with my sushi/chef knives for work. I had crazy high end stuff but then one day realized it didn't make me a better sushi chef than the mid level knives I used to use. So I sold it all off replaced it with what I only needed and haven't been happier. I've been trying to take the same approach to bass playing too. I'll never buy boutique bass gear even if I land that sweet record deal. All that being said I do own 3 basses, all very different sounding. When I am feeling burned out sometimes I will only play one of them for a while to force inspiration. Then when I go back to the other two it's like a breath of fresh air.

13. SteveC

Part of the selling is to pay off debt. Like crusty said, I can do just fine with mid level gear. We'll see....

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021