Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by milo, Dec 14, 2004.

1. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    All STATUS owners please tell me more bout ure bass.
    i exp. want to know more bout BOARD 100 (passive)
    equiped STATUS basses (sound).
    What would you do:
    buy status whit BOARD 100 (passive)preamp or save more money and buy one with BOARD 200 (active)preamp.
    thanks.
    Did anyone played STATUS SMART bass?

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame3.htm

thanks

2. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    I am a huge Status fan. I currently own a:
    All of them are lined fretless
    Kingbass Graphite with the preamp and blue LED's.
    Kingbass Princess with the preamp and greed LED's.
    S2 Classic passive
    S1 Headed passive
    Empathy with older preamp design.

I have an Electro 3 on order. I am pretty crazy about Status. I also plan on building a retro T with a Status neck.

Overall the Status sound can be discribed as Hi-Fi. They are very precise and acoustically transperant (especially the all graphite models.) The pickups with the preamp and pretty high output but they are easily controlled. I play through a PA rig that is very high powered and I love Status because they are very easy to control my rig with. They also record extremly well.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have an all-graphite Stealth 5 and an S-1 headed 5 banger with the active 100 board (which I'm trying to sell, BTW). Very even response up and down the fingerboard. Voiced exceptionally well, requires little (if any) EQing.

4. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    My main bass guitar is a Status Series 2 (graphite neck-through, fretted 4, headless)

They are incredible basses with unbelievable evenness across the neck, amzing sustain, and terrific tuning stability.
    And they are VERY high output (with the 18volt preamps) which allows me to get a very NON "hi-fi" sound fomr mine.
    If anything I go for a kind of Entwistle growl (remember John played Status for quite a few of his last years.. certainly not a slapper or "hi-fi" guy)

Nothing sounds like them.. it's amazing how much variation they can get in tone... and they sound huge.

I would definitely recommend an active one... many more options.

and my preference isa for the large Hyperactive pickups. not the 'jazz' sized ones.

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    4 string Shark - 1995 - cherry body , passive, single pickup. Currently in the For Sale section. :crying:

6. I started by Status life with a Series 4000 headless.
    Great bass at that time for the poor student that I was. :bassist:
    Then I ordered a series 2 classic, headed neckthrough... wow, what a monster. :hyper:
    Great tone... makes you addicted to graphite. :cool:

interesting that you mention boards. I just recevied today a 700 board to replace the circuit in my old 4000. I am changing it to a headed fretless (already have the neck). The Preset-1 circuit was a little bit limiting on that bass now it's a fretless.
    Rob Green suggested I install the 700... I am going to work on it and will let you know.

I see that the 100 is pretty close to the PreSet1. it will do the job as long you don't need fine tone adjustments. The balance and treble cut/boost are limiting.
    But again, let's but this in perspective... I have played a S2!
    In my opinion, all Status circuits are a great improvment to any bass.

7. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    thanks
    i am opened for more coments

8. I was just in a session today in LA and found out that my Status Stealth-2 records phenomenally well.....EXACTLY as you described it:
    "They are very precise and acoustically transparant (especially the all graphite models.)"

JT

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    The ONLY thing that kept me away from Status is that they didn't offer different string spacings as an option. Now I hear that the are, hmmm, a Mark King 6/w 19mm string spacing??? I need a body bag! oh...by the way, how true is this?

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have a Status Series 2000 headless from the early days. It's an all carbon monocoque construction reminiscent of the current Stealth. Awesome bass, great tone and sustain, never goes out of tune. I like it a lot and it's definitely in that small group of "I'll never sell this" basses.

My bass is active and I've never played a passive Status so I can't comment, except that I generally prefer active basses anyway.

Recently I got a set of Series 2003 pickups from Rob which I've put into my 5 stringer whilst I wait for the custom to be completed. I'm very impressed with what I hear so far.

11. Does anybody in Talkbass plays a Status Jonas Hellborg model???

It looks pretty nice!!!

12. marty65

marty65

May 15, 2010
    Ipswich Suffolk
    I have had my series one, through neck, active for 14 years, other basses come and go, but my status remains my number one !

13. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    i should add that I tried just about every possible pickup choice in a P bass and was never REALLY happy until I put in a passive Status P Bass pickup.

it kills

14. I used to own one. It played great, but the 36-volt preamp was overkill, and it was a pain to change batteries when they went dead!

Mike

15. Oztek

Oztek

Sep 25, 2008

There were only about 20 made. I've got one and I love it.

36volt preamp....yes...it can get LOUD!