Steely Dan Bass Lines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by reallife4, Oct 30, 2004.

1. reallife4

Oct 30, 2004
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, thanks for having me. Anyways, I just joined a Steely Dan tribute band and I have been transcribing all the Chuck Rainey and Walter Becker lines. Does anyone know if there is a bass line transcription book out there for Chuck Rainey or Steely Dan? Has anyone out there transcribed these lines before? I am specifically trying to hear all the details on "Kid Charlamange" and cant pick everything out.

2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    If I'm not mistaken Kid Charlemagne was transcribed in one fo this years's issues of Bass Player. Wish I could narrow it down for you. Go to their web site and try plugging it in.
  3. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Check the Tabs forum here on TB, do a search. There might some info there.
  4. The Kid Charlemagne transcription is in the March 2004 issue of BP. The one with Pino Palladino on the cover.
  5. reallife4

Oct 30, 2004
    Thanks for your help guys, I will see if there is a March edition of BP on Ebay.
  6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Hey reallife4... PM sent.
  7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have a copy of "Transcribed Scores: The Best of Steely Dan" and it includes "Kid Charlemagne."
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That book is "OK"...except for its transcription of "Kid Charlemagne"!
    IIRC, none of the verses are written out(IIRC, it sez, "Play simile". Yeah, right). ;)

The Bass Player transcription is where to look.
  9. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have every issue of BP.I can bring it to work and photocopy
    it and Fax it to you.

Let me know.
  10. sc58193

Feb 24, 2011
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Hi everybody. I know this thread is from 2004 but I thought it can't hurt to try and see if anybody has a copy of the 'Kid Charlemagne' transcription from the magazine?
  11. gfaulkner

gfaulkner Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Central Maryland
    I do have that issue,in fact.Let me see if I can copy/scan it and get it to you.If not,what are you doing the 3rd of June?The MD/VA/DC group here on TB is having a GTG in Columbia and I could bring it there.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  13. treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    "Aja" has some of the best bass lines ever recorded, Chuck Rainey was smokin'!!!