1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stefano Scodanibbio

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by oliebrice, Jan 10, 2012.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    apparently the great Italian bassist Stefano Scodanibbio has died, aged only 57. One of the greatest modern classical bassists in the world

2. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
  3. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    One of my biggest influences. Sad.

4. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Sad indeed. Who wil Ferneyhough write bass music for now?

5. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Seriously! Remember Ferneyhough hugging him after his solo at Stanford? Who will Julio Estrada write bass music for now?

I heard he died in the same part of Mexico, of the same thing and around the same age as Mingus. Not yet confirmed, but odd if even two of those things are right.

6. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
  7. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Yeah, that is him, two basses, laying on his back. Estrada is incredible. Very hardcore. I love the Manzoni image, I would have gone more for Tapies, or Kiefer.

8. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    Very sad, he died of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease) which he was diagnosed with two years ago. According to an obituary in a Mexican newspaper, his ashes are going to be kept in Estrada's garden. I've been researching heavily into Scodanibbio's work during the last 9 months, his technical facility was simply incredible and his influence on contemporary composers far reaching. His loss is a blow for the bass world and the contemporary music scene in general, he will be missed.

9. dtosky

dtosky

Jan 4, 2010
    RIP

10. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
  11. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    That Stanford concert was one of the best I have ever been to. Too bad. At least he left a lot of music behind.

12. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I am doing a short solo memorial for him at Avant Garden in Houston tomorrow (Mon. 1/16/12), just after 7pm:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/277050725683477/
    His innovations are central to how I approach the instrument in my music and after one of his solo concerts I realized I needed to deal with the sounds and "extended techniques" as thoroughly as possible or just quit. He was an inspiration. A hardass, a super-musician. It is sad to think that he is no longer working on what the bass can do.
    I am using a tuning that deals with his areas of interest low to high: Eb, A, C# (1/8 tone flat), A. The tri-tone in the low end darkens things when the just-thirds get too sweet.

13. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
  14. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    ECM are releasing an album of Scodanibbio's solo compositions (played by the amazing Daniele Rocatto) and bass ensemble pieces played by Ludus Gravis. Should be an essential recording. Coming out in October.

I heard Rocatto a couple of years ago giving a solo recital, completely astonishing bassist

mtto, jazzcat_13 and koricancowboy like this.

15. Here's a video of Roccato playing Scodanibbio's Alisei. It should be a great couple of albums!

oliebrice likes this.