1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steinberger basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluesman001, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Bluesman001

Bluesman001

Mar 5, 2008
    What's your opinions on Steinberger spirit basses? I'm looking for a low $ bass for recording. Thanks.

2. I have a Steinberger Spirit 4 string. I used it for gigs and some recording. It has great dark, deep, bottom end, that is why so many reggae bassists employ Steinbergers. I never played an American made one, only the Spirit. It has nice tone, and the foreign made Select pickups are very responsive. I would reccommend it for rock, reggae, punk, metal, motown, hip hop or any style with a dark, round, punchy bass. Not the best for high tones or mids like the jazz bassists go for.

3. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I've owned several Steinbergers, all 80's models. Other than appearance, the Spirits are much different in sound and feel, not better or worse just different. That said, the Spirits are pretty nice basses. If your going for the minimal body style, also consider the Hohner headless basses.
    The only thing bad about Spirits is Gibson. Gibson has never seemed to know were to fit Steinberger into their product line.
    The MusicYo site has vertually no inventory at the moment. Getting parts is next to impossible in my experience. I had a leg-rest on my 85 or 86 XP-2 break. Gibson and MusicYo would not help. Ended up emailing Hohner USA and had a replacement in 2 days for 20 bucks plus shipping. Hohner IMO has better support and their product is as good or better than the spirits. They (Spirits and Hohner) used to be made in the same factory from what I understand. Don't know if this is the case anymore.

For more information on the subject check out the Steinberger World group on Yahoo:
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/steinberger_world

Which ever way you go, good luck.

4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Good basses for the buck.
    They're different(wood vs synthetic) but similar(design, ease of use, great travel bass, sound good, etc.) to the 80's Steins. My son started on a used CORT clone and requested a Stein when it came time to get his first new bass. He did a great job with it.

5. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007