Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steinberger headless basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ivanthetrble, Mar 15, 2004.

1. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I have been thinking about picking up a Steinberger headless bass for a travel bass. Much smaller and lighter than a standard bass. I checked the Steinberger website and these list for about $400 with a gigbag. Specs show a neck thru construction. I always thought they were carbon necks and bodies? Was that the older ones? I saw a used Steinberger on the BassCentral website for $2,000. What gives? :confused:

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the specs
    http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=192

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The ones you saw are called Steinberger Spirits, low cost imports made in the Orient and 100% wood construction. The Spirits were introduced after Gibson bought the company.

The carbon graphite models are no longer in production although Gibson has stated a few times US production will start up again.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A few years ago I purchased one of the all-wooden Spirit series 5 strings. It was great for a travel bass, fit in the overhead compartment of even the smaller commuter planes. Cheap, and I never had to worry that anything would happen to it. Sound was decent, playability was good as well.

That being said, it had a terrible balance problem with using a strap, the top of the bass (E string side) would angle downward towards the floor, making it hard to see what you were fretting. The original steinbergers had a "horn" shaped attachment that kept the strap balance where it should be. The Spirit series has strap buttons directly on the body.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Spirit series are inferior by far to the original graphite neck USA models (which isn't saying they are bad). I have an old XM2, which has a body, and it balances perfectly and still fits in an overhead compartment. It's THE bass!