1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steinberger Spirits

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Autodidact: Yes, you should buy the bass for that price.

Glad you posted in the megathread, here you'll get better information from people who've actually owned, kept, and played Spirits, vs. the people you were hearing from the other thread you started, who've never owned a Spirit and are replying on hearsay, or bought one and didn't give the bass a fair chance and flipped it.

The Spirit EMG Select pickups are the same dimensions as standard guitar humbuckers. Read through this megathread, and also check these threads: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/passive-hb-sized-pickups-110405/ http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/audere-3zb-has-sound-reviews-288229/ This will give you an idea of some of the mods that I, and other owners, have done.

Actually the stock pickups sound really good with the right strings. I changed out the pickups on one bass, but the other two XZ's I own still have the stock Selects.

2. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    I picked up a Spirit XT last year for $200. I was glad to see info on the strap extender- that should make for much more comfortable playing. BTW- mine has the phenolic fingerboard and a 200xx serial #. Could any of you out there tell me when mine was built? Thanks!

3. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    So just to clarify, you put EMG guitar pups in one of yours? Are all the bass frequencies still represented properly

4. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Autod: No, I did not put EMG guitar pickups in the one bass. Please take some time to do some reading. It's all right here in this one thread.

5. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    More Spirit talk! Anyone bought an XT lately, or one of the old XZ's?

6. derg

derg Supporting Member

May 26, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    An XZ is coming my way for a bit of restoration :)

7. I'm not an owner, but does anyone know where an XZ can be had? I like the headless design, but I want a classic body.

8. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    Here’s a question for you Steinberger fans. I’m a short scale fretless kind of guy and I’m thinking of putting together a short scale fretless Steinberger. I’m working with a Luthier who has done well de-fretting my short scale basses and asked him if he could make necks for me. It turns out he has done a number of headless bass necks and said he would take on a short scale headless. I’m looking for Steinberger our copy that has a bolt on neck. I see the specs on some models calling out a fixed neck. Is this a bolt on neck? The Spirit seems to be a thru neck? Any feed back?

9. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    The Spirit is neck-thru.

The Washburn Quantum is a bolt-on.

10. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Neck through? Are you sure it's not set neck?

11. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Spirit XZs are bolt-on necks.

XT's are neck-through.

12. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
  13. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Time to resurrect this thread. I've seen many Raggae bass players using these Full bodied Spirit basses. I just couldn't resist this one on eBay. 50th Birthday present! Its supposed to be at my house today. Is anyone still playing these?

Attached Files:

14. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Gmarcus- Very pretty honeyburst finish, and the wood pieces look good. Congratulations on winning the auction! How about posting more pictures? That is essentially my XZ-25, which is also honeyburst.

I still have all three of my XZ's, but have not played them in a while.

Actually, I need to refinish my XZ-25 as it fell out of the gig bag when the zipper broke. The finish cracked, and that was about it. Amazing the damage was not worse, as it hit concrete. That's a bit of a testament to the durability of these basses.

15. Looks fantastic!

I hope Gibson relaunches the extended line of Steinberger products again. Those full body basses look very good.

16. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    One wonders about conversations between corporate Gibson (ICK) and Ned Steinberger. Ned was such a rebel. I would suspect there really haven't been any conversations in years.

17. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    She showed up today in a ridiculously small box with no packing material other than the gig bag, but she survived. This is a nice little bass and the neck is sweet! A bit of birds eye to the maple and about the same shape as my Stingray. I'd say a little thicker front to back, but about the same width as the Ray. I just ordered a set of flats from Status Graphite and spent about an hour adjusting the set up with the dead rounds on the bass. Mine has a sticker on the back that says 100% set up in the USA by Kramer. She sounds good, kind of mellow and the B string is closer to the stingray than my fender P-5. Yes the B is much better than the fender, but not as thunderous as the Ray. I think the Ray is going to jump her when I leave the two of them alone ;-)

Here are a couple of glamore shots

Attached Files:

18. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    A couple more shots

Attached Files:

19. Very cool. I hope TB adds a "Like" button to these threads.

20. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    This thing has a really solid meaty sound. I see why all of the reggae braddahs in Hawaii played them:hyper: