Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stereo Rig - Define it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Mar 6, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    So what are the differences between mono and stereo? I know with stereo you can add more cabs and equal out between an 8 ohm and a 4ohm.....

Basically I wanna know how they are setup, and how to run "stereo"effects? would those consistute like delays jumping between left and right cabs?

I've tried searching and haven't found a clear definition or setup of anything.

Thanks in advance.

-Brian Schmitt

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Mono - one output
    Stereo - two outputs

Stereo is basically two amps. Some stereo amps have two inputs and some can have one input feed both outputs.

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Well you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. An example would be my stereo rig, where I plug my Bass into a mono (single channel) preamp and that connects to the input of my FX rack. That processes, as you say, delays that ping pong left and right, or lovely wide panning chorus sounds.. infact anything. I can run a distortion sound on the left and a clean flanger sound on the right. The left and right channels go to a stereo power amp and then out to 2 matching cabs, one for left, one for right. It sounds amazing!!

4. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    To be pedantic, not necessarily. ;o) 2 amps could be 'parallel mono' where they both out put exactly the same sound.

Stereo, or 'Stereophonic' suggests that the 2 channels are made up of potentially non related signals. for example drums and guitar, much like you HIFI 'stereo'.

It's ok, I know what you meant i was being a nit-pick ;o) lol

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I dont belive that your really running stereo until you have some sort of panning effect on your rig. Otherwise your pretty much dual mono. With both sides putting out the same thing. Bass after all is a mono instrument.

6. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    With my upright bass, I run a "stereo" cable to my rack, where it gets split thru seperate EQs, seperate sonic maximizers, seperate feedback killers, seperate power amps, and seperate speakers. Basically I have seperate everything for each of my pickups.

I say its dual Mono

7. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    If you have two channels of sound, and they are not the same => you have stereo.

"Panning" is just adjusting how much of a certain sound is in each channel.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ah yes a third mode of operation common to many stereo amps. :p Thanks dood!

I got rid of my stereo amp anyway because I only want amps that I can call "mono-block" because it sounds so cool, because of the block part. Its like an engine but mono instead of big. With all kinds of power and coolness. :bassist:

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Stereo requires not just two signals, but two channels carrying the same sound with positional information added, even if the positional information says it's panned dead center. Left and right channels are required for actual stereo.

10. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    yeh I getcha, Block is cool.. My friend had one of those lovely FO great 70's Pontiac Firebird's over here in the UK and he always used to refer to the engine as a XXX (insert engine size) LUMP.. I'm running a 2000 W lump! ;o) I like that!

11. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Eh. Disagree. Hmmmm.

Well, the "positional information" is not some secret signal that some Dolby engineer throws in there to mystify your aural perceptions. It's just that the signal is louder in one speaker than the other, so it sounds like it is more on that side (typically). I mean, you could also record the same sound from two different microphones that are spaced right and left.... then send the right microphone signal to the right speaker and the left mic signal to the left speaker. This also would be stereo. They are not the "same" signal, though they are similar.

Also there is something about whether the speakers are in phase or not that affects whether the sound comes like it is coming from in-between the speakers, or from the center of the room. You'll know what I mean if you have ever used the calibration DVD for your home theatre and they are checking to make sure you've got the phase set properly. "Video Essentials" I think is the name of it, though there are others.

Main Entry: ste·reo·phon·ic
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary
    : of, relating to, or constituting sound reproduction involving the use of separated microphones and two transmission channels to achieve the sound separation of a live hearing

Of course, you can have a mono "live hearing", but you know, I'm thinking Webster meant "live" like "strictly acoustic".

I just don't think the two channels have to be carrying the same sound. If you've got one instrument panned all the way to the right... then none of that signal is going to be coming out of the left speaker. But as long as you've got something (that is in some way different) coming out of that other speaker - blam! you've got stereo.