Sterling bass SUB Series.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alfonso Polo, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Alfonso Polo

Alfonso Polo

Mar 17, 2018
    Chicago
    Got me an Sterling SUB a few months ago... It worked and sounded great.... For a while....
    Recently, for some reason, every time I play the E string I get a horrible distortion coming out of it, ESPECIALLY when I crank up the bass and treble knobs on it (just the way I like it) even with a brand new battery!
    At first I though it was maybe a blown speaker (I have a classic Ampeg 8X10), but even when I use my headphones I get that "distortion" (I also use a VOX Valvetronix vt120+ that I use at a low volume for practice at home) and still get the "distortion" with it, same E string.
    The rest of the strings sound good, it only happens with that E string and like I mentioned before, when I crank the bass and treble knobs.
    Faulty pre-amp maybe? Anyone with some input please?
    A friend of mine told me that it could be the pick-up itself....
    Thanks!

2. The battery could be dying.

Alfonso Polo likes this.
  3. Alfonso Polo

Alfonso Polo

Mar 17, 2018
    Chicago
    It still doing it with a brand new battery.

4. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    I had that happen on a mid-priced bass (Vintage VJ-74 Re-Issue). The pickup was angled upwards really close to the "E" string. I adjusted the pickup and the distortion went away. Check out how close your pickup is to the string on that side.

Alfonso Polo and EagleMoon like this.
  5. Alfonso Polo

Alfonso Polo

Mar 17, 2018
    Chicago
    I will give it a try. Thanks Eddie!

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    That's is normal syndrome once you turn up bass knob on Sub ray bass. Factory preamp issue.

Alfonso Polo likes this.
  7. Alfonso Polo

Alfonso Polo

Mar 17, 2018
    Chicago
    Aaaaaah! I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. jpaulo

jpaulo

Aug 18, 2018
    Sao Paulo / Brazil
    I also had to lower my pickup a lot on the E side not to get that distortion...
    Hope it works for you, the bass is comfortable to play and has a nice tone.

btw - the pup is so hot I can remove the battery and it will hear it with just a little bump on the gain...

Alfonso Polo likes this.
  9. Alfonso Polo

Alfonso Polo

Mar 17, 2018
    Chicago
    Yeah I really like it! The arm is so smooth and easy to play with, overall it's a great bass but then again, that started noise issue started happening.