Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling, good bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Often Lost, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Often Lost

Often Lost

Jan 3, 2004
    Hi, I'm looking for a new bass in the 1000-1500 dollar range. I do alot of tapping, some slapping, and alot of finger style. I play alot of complicated stuff, so playability is a big factor. I wanted to know if the Musicman Sterling is a good bass for me. If not, any suggestions what would be?

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Based on the varried styles you play, the tone you're looking for, and your budget, I'd highly recommend an Eshenbaugh J Series. The price would be near the top end of your range, but still doable. I have a fretless Sterling, and while it is a great bass, I'm not sure it it is quite as versatile nor voiced for the type of tone and versatility you'll need. Check your PMs for more detailed into on the Eshenbaugh J Series.

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes.

fretless w.clear finished ash body and tortoise guard for me.

4. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well cosidering you do alot of tapping and you might want 24 frets you could be SOL cos the sterling only has 21

5. Sterlings are great basses. I get a lot of use out mine.

6. Often Lost

Often Lost

Jan 3, 2004
    Any suggestions what would be a great bass for tapping then? I preferable want a 4 string or a 6 string, so one of those would be great.

7. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Try some Warwicks and some high end Ibanezes

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Yes, these are very good basses.
    My Sterling fretless with pizo-pickup,
    lots of tone Jazz bass style neck.
    plays great.

9. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I really love my Sterling..
    Got BALLS in the lows, that's all I need..

10. seriously, that's pretty bold. i know you're a motivated salesman and you want to get the right bass in the hands of the buyer, but this isn't exactly the forum to do so.

i know you retailers are walking a fine line between making honest suggestions about what would work and openly selling. this post is more openly selling than simply making an honest suggestion.

as an employee at an often-discussed manufacturer, i, too, have to be aware of my position in the marketplace and temper my position in the discourse accordingly. that is not too much to ask.

i believe that you made an honest suggestion to [Often Lost], but perhaps you could have waited to PM him/her until after he/she expressed interest. of you could have done my personal favorite, a pre-emptive disclaimer -- in my case, "well, i work for peavey, so...".

for example: "i sell eshenbaugh basses, but i really think you should explore the eshenbaugh j series before you buy a sterling..."

commerce on talkbass.com does not bother as much as some others, but, again, this post seemed fairly bold in selling to this "up".

thanks.

robb.

11. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I'm agree with Rcz

12. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Sorry a little late here in the game I am. I have had 2 Sterlings. I play a pearl blue one with a maple fingerboard and it just rocks. To me it seems like 3 basses in one tonewise: 1) one mode with killer highs for funk style, 2) middle, single coil mode sounds killer with the lowend all wound up for subdub and old school styles and 3) last mode similar to the funk style with pronounced mids for really cutting through. A great all around bass plus, it's a pleasure to play for any extended length of time. I highly recommend them !!!!! :hyper: