Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling or Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Worshiper, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Ok. I have finally saved enough money for my new bass.Now I have narrowed the choices down to either a Bongo (4 string) or a sterling. What do you all think? Which is better in your opinion. Sorry if anythign similar to this has been covered. I did a search but had no luck so... I will be using this particular bass for church youth group songs..so kinda soft rock-like songs. I don't know if this helps, the other christians will get it- like david crowder songs, chris tomlin, delirious. Thanks a bunch.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Have you played both? If so, which do YOU like better? The bongo is the more versatile of the too, and can get more tones, but i personally like the sterling better just because its got more of the classic musicman shape, but thats me, many people here will tell you to get the bongo.

3. +1 the bongo is more versatile, or from what I remember it is, but I prefer the looks of a sterling any day

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    haha..I know that this is off topic but I just have to say..
    This is why I love basstalk...I post a thread 4 min ago and i look back quickly and i already have 2 posts..co cool. And thats's for your responses guys. I have played the sterling and i LOVE it. The problem is no one in my area has a bongo to try
    It seems as if they are always sold when I get to the store. I guess that's a good thing for the instrument but bad for me.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd go Bongo. I've played Bongos, and they're fantastic instruments. Incredibly versatile, they can do whatever you need -- and then some.

7. A bongo is like a sterling, but 10 times better.

8. Be like me, get one of each!!! [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    The Bongo is the best playing and best sounding MusicMan I've ever touched. Thats compared to SR4's, SR5's, Sterlings, and Sabres. I thought the Bongo was going to be a re-hashing of the Sabre, but its a lot better. I dare say it competes with my G&L L-2000...
    :bag:

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I think you want a BONGO!

I mean, who doesn't.

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have both. But, I must go with Bongo HH.

12. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 I would recommend playing both the Bongo and the Sterling, I've had the chance to play both the Bongo and Sterling at the local GC and like them both. The Bongo has a more sustain when it comes to the sounds and the Sterling has enough punch and sustain and has nice feel to the neck. It all comes down to what you like more. :)

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This is killin' me! A single hum Bongo 5 would be *such* a nice mate to my Sterling!

14. New GC coming...:)

15. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    +1

16. Personally, I would go with the Sterling. I've played a dual humbucker Bongo, and I didn't think that it was really all that versitile. The 4 band eq was actually sort of confusing (keep in mind that I play a p-bass, though) and I didn't really get any "MusicMan" sounds with it. You might want to look at the G&L L-2000, though. You can get any sound that you could imagine with that bass.

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I should probably ban myself from these threads, but I don't have that kind of self-control.

I have had Sterlings, Stingrays (pre and post EB), Stingray 5s, you name it.

Get the Bongo. Anyone who tells you it isn't versatile hasn't spent the proper amount of time or the QUALITY time with a dual humbucker Bongo.

They eat other basses as snacks.

Plus, let's face it - they look ultra-cool, and I play them.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've played the HH Bongo five a few times, and if I ever get a Bongo it would be a single pickup model. That neck position humbucker really messes my slap angle. I also think that single pickup Bongo just looks cool. :bassist:

19. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo Bongo

:bassist:

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's probably why -- you just aren't THAT familiar and comfortable with onboard preamps. I'd been using an Aguilar OBP-3 for months before even seeing a Bongo at a store, so I was able to get a lot of usable sounds out of it. If you can't, it's not a fault on the part of the bass.