1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling SUB, Ray34, Stingray and Classic Stingray sounds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceesaar00, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ceesaar00

ceesaar00

May 17, 2017
    Hey folks. So I found this video recently. I never have seen a comparison between the 4. I know it is just one riff but it let you hear the basic differences between all of them.
    That Ray has some big balls, the classic Stingray is fabulous, the newer Stingray I´d say is between those two, still very aggressive, and the SUB (made in China) gets a really really nice tone. I think at $300 is the best you can get if you are looking for that kind of tone.
    I want this video to be useful for people who wants to buy any of this basses and wants to hear all of them.
    Perhaps someone with actual experience on playing them could tell us more and the differences in a live mix?
    SUB starts at 1:08
    Sterling Ray34 2:01
    Stingray 2:53
    Classic Stingray 3:48

Nebula24 and NoxNoctus like this.
  2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Shortly pulled the trigger on a Ray35 after seeing this. Impressive stuff.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    It it just me or is the Classic Stingray missing all treble? Wondering if he used the same settings on all of them.

4. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Like the sub4s. Almost tempts me to buy a 2nd bass each time i play one. But resisting.

5. ceesaar00

ceesaar00

May 17, 2017
    Those things are great. $300 for a second bass wouldn´t hurt so much and you will be in relieved lol.

Nebula24 likes this.
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Nice to hear a comparison but would have preferred a different song selection to hear more of the differences ie. in slapping or on a busier bass line.
    I wonder what the mid setting he has it on as the Classic and SUB are 2 band EQs being compared to 3 on the Sterling 34 and regular Stingray.

7. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Yeah hard to say with the different EQs but I preferred the Classic and Sub.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    The standard Stingray sounds best followed closely by the Classic and Sterling.
    The standard 'Ray not only has the top end clarity but has a rounded, punchy low end "heft" that the others don't quite match.