1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steve harris or Geezer butler pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Metalmaster6254, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Metalmaster6254

Metalmaster6254

Apr 9, 2014
    Of course im talking about their signitures, so which one should i get if i want a sound thats snappy but also has some low end ? Thanks

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Buy & try both and return the ones you don't like.

3. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I dont know anything about the Geezer pups but I love the SH pup.

IMG_2894_zps4da83bc7.

Gluvhand likes this.
  4. Same here. Have them in my 73 Precision and love it. Snappy with a nice bottom describes them pretty well, IMO. The Geezer's seem very popular these days though.
    Nothing but raves over in their thread.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not tried the Steves but I freaking love the Geezers.

One of these days you'll find someone who has tried both ;)

6. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Yeah, they're both so new, there probably aren't too many around who have experience with them both.

Another vote for the Geezers here. Fantastic pickup.

As an aside, I have compared the Geezer to the Duncan SPB-1 (Vintage for P-Bass), and they're very similar, but with a subtle yet noticeable difference. The Geezer has a bit more pronounced midrange, to my ears, and provides a little more Precision Bass "grunt," without being "over the top" high-output. I don't care for "hot" pickups, and I would not describe the Geezer as "hot."

I would guess the SPB-4 (The Steve Harris) should be real similar to the Geezer, but that's just a guess.

7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have and love the Geezers too. No exp with the SH's. The Geezers are really tight and round if that makes sense. To me anyway. They have great mid presence and are fairly warm for my tastes. But I like that. I usually go for more aggressive type tones than what the Geezers do, but by definition I have heard them described as somewhat aggressive for a passive pup. I dig em.

8. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Haven't played the Steves, but the Geezers were a vast improvement over the stock pups. Good stuff!

9. Metalmaster6254

Metalmaster6254

Apr 9, 2014
    Thanks guys this helped alot

10. Bluesgrunt

Bluesgrunt Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Anyone put these two pickups head to head yet?
    From what I have read they seem to be trying to target the same sound.
    I have not heard a word against either pickup which makes me all the more curious.

11. Guess, I'll jump in with, I haven't tried the geezers, but just I installed a Harris, and really starting to love it.
    Warm, but has a nice p grind to it.
    Don't think you could go wrong with either.

12. I have the Steve Harris pickups. They sound a little hotter than the classic spb1s but not as hot as the Hot spb2 or Quarter Pounders. They have a nice midrange and low end. They aren't as bright as a stock Fender but they have a thicker tone. I would say these are the perfect pickup for keeping a vintage P bass tone and adding a little heft to it.
    You won't magically sound like Steve Harris. I would say his tone relys more on his attack, rig, and strings (fresh heavy ss Roto flats) rather than his pickups. These are just one piece to the puzzle. Also Steve has no tone control so on his bass they will sound brighter and perhaps maybe louder.
    I may be wrong but I believe these pickups are a replicant of the one SD custom wound for him.

13. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Jan 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Sounds like a lot of good data on each. I would venture to say they each sound similiar and worthy of using. I love my Steve Harris's but I must admit, I think I want to try the Geezers in another bass I have. After all, It's Geezers!

JimmyM likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! Well I hope you don't get in trouble for that ;)

The takeaway from this thread, I believe, is that pickup choice is very personal and based on a lot of different factors, and both Duncan and EMG have decades-long reps for high quality pickups, and it's hard to go wrong with either. Some will prefer the Steves, some will prefer the Geezers, some will like both for different reasons and want basses with one of each.

Arvin likes this.
  15. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Thank you for suggesting these!!! :)

JimmyM likes this.
  16. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    I vote for the geezer, i tried both and the harris pups were great in their own right.
    But i think the geezers were just better.
    I put them both in a budget bass that dosent have much beef to its tone.
    Geezers just made the bass have more of that beef i was looking for, i love how when i play with a pick i can get them to the the point of breaking up but just never do.
    I love how the D and G sounded thicker than typical pups, the harris had more sizzle in my opinion but thats not what i wanted.

JimmyM likes this.
  17. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Ain't that the truth. I've got a bass with a Duncan SPB-1, strung with GHS Precision Flats, and it does the perfect "thumpy flat" thing for me. I put a set of the same strings on one of my Geezer'ed basses, and it was just too much -- Precision Flats are so middy anyway, and so is the Geezer. That combination wasn't my favorite. Took the strings off, and put a set of D'Addario Tapewounds on the bass, and to my ears, it's absolutely stellar with the Geezers and tapes. Same with GHS Pressurewounds. Pressurewounds + Geezers = tone nirvana (for me).

Karl_V, PawleeP and JimmyM like this.