Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

steve harris sound and eq settings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassuser35, Aug 28, 2004.

1. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    ok, since my last post left alot to be desired, let's try it this way...

what's the best way to achieve a Steve harris type of sound (without using his bass and rig)?

for instance, can you get it by having a low action, and then by cutting your lows and raising your highs on the eq? What does everybody think?

also, I'm really unclear about the treble and mid nobs on my amp. if you raise your highend does that mean to raise both the treb and the mid or just one?

any form of help would be awesome-
    cheers

2. I'm sorry but there's no way you will change your bass sound, if your bass don't already sound like steve harris there is no magic Eq setting that will get you his sound, Equalization doesn't change the tone of the bass it's for making minor adjustments to the sound.

For example if you cut all the treble on your amp it will still sound like your bass only without treble.

I know that I'm no help but this is just reality, If you want the sound you'll need a P-bass with quarter pounders, flatwounds and low action.

3. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    no you helped. low action is a definite necessity. but that begs the question how low is low? I'm not looking to get my bass to sound just like harris. I just want that clicking/digging/crunch sound his gets. :bassist:

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Flatwound Rotosounds, 12 inch speakers, a Pbass, and lots of ears and lots of practice.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've had this idea that virtually NOone used flatwounds anymore. Are they very common? Are any of you guys using them?

Joe

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have two basses strung with Flatwounds. There's probably more basses out there with flatwounds than people think. Not everyone wants to give away their secrets to their tone.

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I get a little bit of Harris clank by:

-using the bridge pickup
    -boost treble
    -add tweeter
    -dig into the strings.

8. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000