Steve Swallow: perfect walking technique for bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Swallow’s pick over the fingerboard approach really conjures a sense of double bass quite effectively. Maybe I should try that approach with a fretless?

2. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    If it's not perfect it's pretty dang close.

I've been blatantly copying that technique for 20 years.

matthewbrown and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    Dr.,

That approach on fretless, using fingers, probably will not give you the same front end bite that Steve gets using round-wound strings and a copper pick.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I said nothing about using fingers. I am decent with a pick and I am comfortable with rounds on my fretless.

5. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    I don't know if there is a perfect technique for walking bass, but his one sounds extremely good, that's for sure. He does appear to have a pretty high action, though, which is necessary when you're playing this close to the fingerboard.

I had the chance to see him play several times in small venues in Paris when I was living there (around the 2000s), when he was in a duet with Carla Bley, and his sound was phenomenal. Deep and crystal clear at the same time, the kind of sound that takes you to the guts.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    G no
    I am going to make it a point to listen to a lot more Steve Swallow. In terms of great bassist’s, I have listened to him the least.

Joshua and Vinny_G like this.
  7. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    I was actually checking out some of his earlier recordings on DB (sorry can’t remember which ones). He sounded great.

The electric bass / pick / jazz walking thing is not my cup of tea ... but you have to admit many of his compositions and recordings are brilliant.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    I seem to recall that a Steve Swallow’s bass has an exceptionally long string length, maybe 37”. (Or did at one time)
    If this recollection is correct then it and other aspects of his instrument may play an important role in his tone.

Steve is one of two jazz bassists that I know of that began as successful jazz double bassists and switched to bass guitar. The other being Max Bennett. I don’t believe it’s correct to say that Jamerson switched to his Fender, as he continued to perform jazz gigs on double bass while he recorded his Motown works on the Fender.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For what it is worth, some of the early Motown hits like Martha Reeves and the Vandellas “Heatwave” were recorded with Jameson on double bass.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    It's 36", I believe.

Great bassist and the pick up/pick down helps to give a sense of motion on his walking lines.

I really like his tone on the melodies and soloing, especially the C string.

I think that on recordings his tone on walking lines could be a little less tamed, though.

Steve Swallow (AE5 Swallow Signature Custom) : Harvey Citron

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Wow, Carla Bley and Steve Swallow have such a profound connection. Their music is so intense. It is like they are having sex through their instruments, it’s so intense. Swallow’s bass evokes the acoustic to a degree that is remarkable, but it still has that guitar edge when he wants it.

Clever Moniker, shojii, jerry and 2 others like this.

12. You can get that sound with the neck pickup soloed on a Rickenbacker. Chris Brubeck playing with fingers on his very early Rickenbacker 4001FL, he only uses the neck pickup which is original. I've heard a few things he played where you would swear it was an upright but they were taken down. He's an unbelievable player.
    solo at 3:20

shojii, StereoPlayer, JimK and 4 others like this.
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Lots of players, both fingerstyle and pick...especially from the UK...used to play up at the end of the fingerboard until the early 1970s. Seems by the mid 70s, everyone was moving down towards the bridge.

Pete Quaife of the Kinks
    peterquaife.jpg

JPJ with Fender VI and pick
    ssion-musician-and-future-member-of-led-zeppelin-john-paul-jones-a-picture-id451611407?s=612x612.jpg

and P and fingers
    h4-lRNL_L1rUV4KYFsvu7_CPUWQuUcuz7Z4djLm4FezZlKoiN1sdWcjixqRDETq0N4Xu0oJE9XSfs-DzCqTnJr18GCGxHBTQ.jpg

The Ox
    jae.jpg

Greg Lake with King Crimson
    521b72855a06a540f5d3f7c5c5186431.jpg

14. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Sounds great, but just sounds like a well voiced (and played) P bass to me.

15. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Well, they are married!;)

shojii, Squittolo, ahc and 4 others like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Someone said something funny on YouTube: “the price for seeing Steve Swallow perform his beautiful music is you have to see his sex face.”:D

That said, lots of bassist’s look orgasmic without sounding anywhere near as good as Steve Swallow.:roflmao:

matthewbrown, ahc and J_Bass like this.

17. I always noticed Black Sabbath bass player Geezer Butler played like that too.

Squittolo and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yep, Geezer too...but not any more!

Unknown.jpg

Geezer-Butler.jpg

Glenn Cornick of Jethro Tull (with Tony Iommi! his only JT gig) Notice how similar Geezer and Glenn hold their bass, almost like an upright!

jethrotull26-1-640x391.jpg

Squittolo, bobyoung53 and Dr. Cheese like this.

19. I always liked Glenn's playing, I pretty much learned the bass solo note for note from Bourée when I was a kid picking the record player tonearm up and down up and down:laugh:. I was lazy I think that's one of the few bass lines I learned like that back then.

fig likes this.
  20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Almost like an upright! :)

shojii, bobyoung53 and ahc like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021