1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Still believe the Monster hype?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MaxZolt, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    True.

I own at least about a half-dozen instrument-type cables. Several are GC promos (the $9.99 fifteen-footers), others are Horizon, EWI, et al. All (except perhaps the GCs) have a lifetime warranty. Still, I haven't had one fail or break in the past 15 years or so even with hundreds of uses per year.

A cable warranty is nice, but for peace of mind it really doesn't matter as much as having a spare or two.

2. Anyone who needs to see testing to know that Monster cable doesn't sound any different from any other equivalently sized wire - doesn't understand the science very well. A plain old basic grasp of basic electronics and physics is enough.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    +10

4. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Vandelay is exactly right. This was all over the web yesterday because many do have an axe to grind with Monster Cable- or simply because they like to point at people and laugh. The source 'post' itself, well to me... sounds specious, or at least unsubstantiated.

5. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    It's back from the dead! :p

You know what cowboy's say, "You can't keep a good horse down!" :D

6. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    Now that's advice we can all shake our booties to.

7. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    John Stossel, call your office! :D

8. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    You "know" this how? This sounds like BS to me.

9. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Waste your money if you want to, but a Monster HDMI cable isn't going to be any better than a non-broken "cheapo" HDMI cable.

Go ahead and spend around $100 for an HDMI Monster cable at Best Buy or wherever. It sure won't be any better than this $8 HDMI cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1024003&p_id=3991&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

10. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I don't buy the hype that a lot of makers of high end audiophile
    cables spin on the gullible with money to burn.
    That said Monster Cable as a brand does make high quality
    products from good components that are durable and carry
    a lifetime warranty on most of the stuff they sell.You have
    to decide for yourself if it's worth the higher price when in
    comparing their stuff to house brand cables etc.

My only gripes with some cheap cables is a lack of durability
    and in some cases a cheap cable can pull off the effect of
    acting like a big capacitor choking off the highs of the tone.
    Stevie Ray Vaughn used coiled instrument cables or cheaper
    cables with a high capacitence to tweak the tone of overly
    bright sounding amps.

I find Monster cable no better or worse than any other good
    quality cable. I'll use Pro Co, Dimarzio,or any other brand as
    long as it is of good quality and priced fairly. I sure in hell
    don't believe in the magic pixie dust nonsense that some makers
    of audiophile grade cables come up with to bedazzle
    those within the built in consumer base that don't apply much
    in the way of critical thinking to what they buy.

11. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I am NOT a techie of any kind when it comes to electronics, but...

Isn't the idea of a digital signal that it's, well, "digital" and not prone to signal loss? Ergo, having a digital signal cable that works, is about as far as you need to go?

Or am I wrong on this? :confused:

12. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    Hah
    Hahahaha
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

(falls off chair and almost dies of abdominal cramps due to uncontrollable laughter)

13. deekay911

deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    If you did that same test with Mogami, Canare or any other high-end cable I bet you would get exactly the saem results. It's all about resistance, and a coat hanger wire offers virtually none due to the size of the pipe the electrons are travelling down. You try to rig your guitar to the amp with a bunch of coat hangers for your next gig though :)

14. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Yes, and that's pretty much what I was saying. It will either work or not work. No amount of flux tube (or similarly magicical snake oil) will make it work better.

15. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Well, Monster has an axe to grind with anyone that uses the word "monster" in any sort of commercial venture. Google "monster" and "litigation" and see what you get. I don't believe a word of their hype, and I wouldn't buy a monster cable on a bet.

BTW, that is not the only account of double blind surveys out there that show that no one can hear the difference in speaker cables (and most don't mention brand names at all, just the so-called "features" of the cables being tested). In fact, I've never seen one that proved otherwise.

16. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Physics is a tough mistress!

17. Hey everyone, me and 10...no.....15...no....35 friends did an A/B test between Monster Cable and chain link fencing........the fencing not only held up great, but it also doubles as, get this...fencing!! You heard it here folks....blogs to come soon and take over the world...down with monster!

18. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a 20-24 year old braided instrument cable that has seen tours, and daily practice all that time. Still work fine...it cost my father about 4.99 according to his memory.

19. Inflin

Inflin

Apr 30, 2007
    Newcastle, UK/Currently London
    Affiliated with Genelec, Avalon Design.
    I'm glad someone finally did a blind A/B on this stuff.

Now they just have to test that $500 wood knob they were selling for hifi's a while back.

(saying that, eden amps to sound more free flowing and natural, and that dissapears when you take the wooden faceplate off!)

20. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Bah. Everyone has those knobs because they provide such a measurable improvement in sound. People need to get on board with disc mats for CDs and DVDs.

From http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_3/marigo-labs-signature-3d-mat-7-2005.html: "The cut-outs and other mechanical structures of the mat create a very specific energy spectra that mechanically dithers the laser to recognize and retrieve additional low level information that is otherwise lost, truncated or unseen,” says Hedrich. “The cut-outs get the least significant bits that get lost and never get off the disc.

Only $199? Sign me up! I want to hear those least significant bits!

The next part is the best: "This phenomenon of information loss has not been previously addressed because it’s just not understood. A laser is a transducer system that changes one form of energy to another. Any transducer has limited capabilities. In the case of digital, we’re trying to convert digitally encoded pits and lands into electrical signals using a laser and optical sensor. Unfortunately, this involves both loss and corruption of information."

This "phenomenon" of converting the pits and non-pits to zeros and ones is quite well understood, but obviously they're hoping their customers don't understand.