1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Still diggin the DYN-B

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by gcordez, Apr 10, 2010.

1. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    After all the futzing about with it initially, i still think this is a great pickup. When i tour and get hired basses, i just stick it on send it out to front of house and go. heres a warts and all clip-

anybody else using these? how you gettin on with them?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I heard Rufus Reid last night using a Dyn B and the bass sounded very good.

3. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    Dang, that guy will always sound good...

4. douglas81

douglas81

Sep 24, 2006
    Poland
    I got to tell you, even from that poor quality (sound-wise) clip, I can clearly hear that characteristic Dyn-B sound -- a sound which I happen to really dislike, unfortunately.

I so want to like this pickup for so many reasons (good quality, good workmanship, instrument transferability, non-invasiveness), but I just don't like it.

Douglas.

5. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    hi douglas,

i know you've struggled with it in the past. what you using these days and how you getting on with it?

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I would really like to like this pickup too, for the reasons stated above and because I don't like something about every other one. I hope to get a chance to try one some day. My laptop speakers aren't good enough for me to judge sound for your video, but I'm enjoying the performance.

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Still like mine although I'm mostly doing mic only now.

With the right EQ the Dyn B is the closest thing to a mic out there. Good sound on this, considering how loud it sounded you had to be in this non-jazz type environment.

8. douglas81

douglas81

Sep 24, 2006
    Poland
    Yes, I experimented with it a good bit and was very methodical in trying to find the best sound, but nothing quite ended up sounding good. I thought it was okay for very low volume gigs where the real acoustic sound of my own bass was still providing the foundation of the sound, but any louder and it just sounded really unattractive to me.

After that I tried an AMT (for which I constructed a modified mount), but I didn't quite like that either - though I think it would be usable with EQ. However, too much bleed from drums when they get loud.

Just fitted a revolution solo and, for pizzicato, I'm fairly hopeful about that. Doesn't sound like my bass, but sounds quite pleasant. For arco it is disgusting. Bzzzzzzz. Yuk.

Douglas.