1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sting Signature Bass, Pickguard Off

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobby King, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I just bought this used Fender CIJ Sting Signature Precision. I've never been a fan of those big. cowboy-looking pickguards :) on the old 51-era P basses, so I took it off. The wood and finish underneath are very nice but there was a small routed cavity where the pickup wire runs to the controls. Solution: I put a thumb rest over it, and the screws go into the cavity (longer screws) so I didn't have to drill any holes on the face. I really like this bass! I have Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats on it which sound great - punchy, but not dull, plenty of brights. The neck feels great and the weight is light too. :bassist:

IMG_6442.JPG IMG_6443.JPG

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Put it back.

;)

3. Looks good from where I'm at <c:

4. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Heck no! Big, ugly, white piece of plastic covering up all that nice wood. I'll sell it to you if you want it!

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Thanks but I've already got mine.

Frankie Fender and FugaziBomb like this.
  6. I pretty much prefer all single coil P basses without a guard.

The wood looks good!

7. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Take it off! :)

8. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    Congratulations!!! Looks good without the guard!! Too bad the 12th fret marker can’t be removed.

9. Jonithen

Jonithen

Dec 3, 2012
    Seacoast NH
    That was a clever way to address the routing. I also approve of the removed-guard-exposed-burst look (and did it to my old smoothie stingray).

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Already done but the slot was an issue so it was undone. Your rest solution covers it well.

Groove Doctor and Bobby King like this.
  11. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I hear you! Nothing against Sting, but I don't need to be reminded of him every time I pick up the bass :)

12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    A wholly solid decision. ;)

Bobby King likes this.
  13. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Banned

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Atta boy! I am the pickguard's most natural predator, I usually hate them. I love your cavity "fix", it's

Brilliant!.jpg

Does NBD mean Nude Bass Day here?

14. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I like it better than the white pickguard but personally would probably put a black one on there.

Bassosaurus, Hues and cheechi like this.
  15. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I think it would look nice with a Clear Pickguard on it. It’d make the screw holes purposeful again too.

16. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Looks good to me!

17. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Those basses are very underrated. I remember when they were in production and I played one in the store and hated it. That particular one was very heavy. About 4 years ago I picked one up locally for cheap and it’s been my number one player since. Put a modern high mass bridge on that thing and maybe shim the neck and you’re golden. Tone to die for. Cuts through the mix great with Chromes.

savofenno likes this.
  18. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    I think it looks really good. Nice job.

19. KEEP IT OFF!!~!!
    :bassist:

20. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    I like what you've done. (I loath pick guards on basses...but that's just me.)