1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray 4 vs G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by landa, Apr 1, 2009.

1. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    Hey there,

I got a dilema & I need your help!!!

I really like both the Stingray & L-2000 & I read thousand of reviews, but unfortunately where I live (a small forgotten island in the mediterranean) we do not have these guitars so there is no way I can try them out.....

I play mainly hard rock (american style e.g. Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle etc...) so I need a suggestion from some experts....

Which one shall I buy?

Cheers

2. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    I owned a G&L Tribute L2000 and I liked it muuuuuch better than any Stingray I've ever tried,so my advice is...go for the G&L!!!:D

3. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I have a SR4 H, SR4 HH, and an L-2000. Let me first say that you won't go wrong with either, but there are some pretty big differences.

The stingray is just a classic- perfect for rock and roll, funk, whatever. Big punch, loads of grit. I know the guy from Chevelle plays a stingray, and I think the BB bassist does as well (but I'm not sure). The stingray has a very pronounced low mid presence that will cut through any mix well. Most of them now come with the 3 band eq, which some (including myself) think doesn't sound quite as good as the older 2 band eq- the voicing is just different. To hear the 2 band version, listen to "Another on bites the dust" by Queen or anything of of Rage Against the Machine's first album. The stingray also has a slightly lower g string output, and this is in the preamp and intentional according to Sterling Ball. If you were to get a Stingray, I'd suggest spending the extra $150 (american) and get the HH version- has the same Stingray sound as well a variety of other sounds, including a pretty good jazz bass sound.

The L-2000, on the other hand, never quite took off the way it should have, IMO. Maybe poor marketing, maybe a lack of original appearance- I don't know. It is extraordinarily versatile, and if you go to the G&L forum and search there are some basic presets that have been posted to get a variety of tones, from P bass to Rickenbacker. It's 2 band eq is cut only, which takes a little getting used to. It has a more balanced mid presence, which sounds great. I think the Magnetic Field Design pickups in the L-2000 are incredible. Right now, the L-2000 is getting more use in my rotation, but it is also newer to me. The only artist I can think of off the top of my head that uses an L-2000 is the bassist from Dillinger Escape Plan.

Both necks are unfinished and play great. The stingray has a P bass width neck, and the L-2000 has both P and J width necks available.

Both are great for hard rock. They both have punch (stingray maybe a bit more) and growl (L-2000 has more). If I had to pick just one, I would probably get the L-2000. It can cop a pretty good stingray tone, but has so much more flexibility compared to the stingray (even the HH). Also, the overall tone is a bit more "balanced", for lack of a better word, than the stingray- the d and g strings sound a bit thicker, less "nasally" or "tinny" (to use adjectives I've read on TB to describe the ray). However, you can't go wrong with either. My guitarist actually loves my stingray more than the L-2000, and keeps pushing me to play it more, which is sometimes tough not to given the fact that, from a shear, shallow appearance perspective, nothing looks as cool as a Stingray, IMO. :)

4. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    Thanks Sbociol....

BTW I was looking around & found L2000 and L2000 tribute! What is the difference.?

To tell you the truth I had no time & patience to check :)

5. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    One's good for Tenacious D songs.

6. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    Thanks Gasman...

That was some good info....

It is gonna be a hard decision....!!!!

7. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    The Tribute series is manifactured in Korea,and gets slightly different bridge and tuners (even if G&L claims that the electronics are the same of the USA version)...shortly,the difference between a USA and a Tribute version is minimal,for that price range I think the Tribute series is the best you can look for...tons of tones and a spectacular playability

8. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    If it's a stock intrument to me the SR is better, but if you are open to modifying the bass slightly, viz. chuck the crap preamp and pseudo humbucking circuit in the G&L I'd go for the G&L. An audere, John east, Aguillar , Bartolini etc preamp would be much better.

9. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    I strongly disagree on this,in my opinion the preamp and pickups is what make this bass and its sound unique ;)

10. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The G&L will be made State-side and the Tribute will be made overseas. Whereas the US G&Ls use alder the Tributes use basswood. The electronics and bridge used on the Tributes are the same as the regulars. This is a pretty basic comparison, but I'm sure the G&L forum could provide some more insight.

Personally I'd spend the extra cash and get a regular G&L.

11. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    The tuners and bridge are nearly the same, made to the same specs and I do believe they used US made pickups. Though to clarify I believe they only use basswood on black finishes of the G&L and Swamp Ash for everything else. The neck is not bicut, and it only comes with a gig bag not a case. Though I can't verify this the neck on the Tribute seemed thicker then my US G&L, not by much but enough to notice.

12. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Actually, basswood in the tributes is only for the black finish. Any of the transparent ones use swamp ash.

Since the start of 2007 (I think), the tribbys have been made in Indonesia. Mine was, and I'm extraordinarily happy with it.

The L2K can also be modified to tap the inner coil of each pickup, effectively giving you a humbucker in the MM position. I've found that i can get VERY close to the MM sound using this.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    New US G&L's no longer use the bi-cut method. Now they put a secondary rod in so the primary truss rod pushes against it instead of the wood. The theory is this more evenly distributes the truss rod action across the neck. Tributes use traditional truss rod methods.

14. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Try it sometime if you get the chance, the stock preamp is very compromised as a design.It will be like lifting a blanket from your bass....I did it on my L2500 with a Bart preamp.

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I owned a G&L 2000 briefly before I had to return it due to neck issues. The thing would just not set up properly. This was probably around 1994-95, I bought it from Dan Lakin in Chicago and he was great about taking it back. I hated to give it up cause the sound was amazing, but the playability just wasn't there.

The one thing that would tip me toward a StingRay vs. a G&L (my experience with the G&L notwithstanding), is that I like the control setup of the Ray a lot better. G&L has those little toggle switches and I always get them mixed up and they look cheezy. I would rather have the Ray with its three (or four) big chrome knobs and single selector switch. Again, it may go totally the other way for you. And, if it's important to you to be able to go passive or active, then the G&L gives you that option (via a toggle switch) whereas the Ray is always active. Either of them is a great bass.

16. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    +1. Leo got it right.

17. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    I have a G&L L-2000 tribute and I wouldn't trade it for any bass in the whole world (ok maybe a select few like a custum MTD 535, but I digress) Since I play all different styles of music from a rock feel all the way to jazz ballads my triby is the best. You can never go wrong with all the tone options and if ever you wanna diversify your playing style this would be a great guitar to have

18. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The deal with the G&L preamp is that it's really just a line amp. It's not there for tone shaping (the bass and treble controls are passive and not controlled by the preamp). It's function is to eliminate problems with long cables, etc. The "sound" of the bass is only effected in active by the output impedance of the preamp vs. the output impedance of the pups/tone controls in passive. There is however an "active with treble boost" setting that actually alters the signal (mainly a setup for a slap sound). So in essence, you are getting the pup's passive sound in active mode with a line boost.

19. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    If I stumbled upon some already modded G&L I would definitely try that,but it's nothing I'd do on my own,as I said I would feel like raping it ;)

20. landa

landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe
    Thanks guys..... apparentely most of you like G&L more than Stingrays!!!!

Well I am still not 100% sure!!! the thing is that either G&L, Tribute or MM I have to get if either from UK from US.... so I need to be 100%

Well if you guys know of anyone willing to sell and post overseas let me know....

thanks