Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray eq question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kilgoja, May 29, 2005.

1. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i have a singray and it is an active bass.....i checked the battery and everything but it doesn't seem to be that "active" to me....i mean it changes a little but not very much....i took the battery out and it sounded pretty much the same out of my amp.....i don't mind it because my previous bass was passive......also i use the passive input on my amp so i can get the volume i want...the active input just isn't loud enough with my stingray...is this common....maybe it's just me but the stingray seems to be kindof a hybrid between passive and active.....what do you guys think?

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I think that sounds weird. You shouldn't need to use a passive input for a Stingray, they've generally got very hot outputs. Have you tried a new battery?

3. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    something you should know about Stingray basses, and many other active basses, is that if you leave the jack plugged in it drains the battery.
    so you always gotta leave it unplugged after playing.

just some helpful advice from a fellow Stingray owner.

4. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    yeah i know...the battery is brand new and i don't leave it plugged in....i mean it works but just not a lot.....when i plug it into the active input on my amp it is just very quiet....so i use the passive input....it doesn't peak out or anything

5. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah, same for me with my new Sterling. It seems to be better using the passive input. I guess it depends on the amp, effects, and such. The active input seems to kill all of the power. The MM pickup sure isn't as powerful as the G&L active pup. Those are some powerful mofo's. Too powerful even. When I had my ASAT I used it in passive mode most of the time.
    I wish the Sterling had a passive /active switch. Thats one place where the MM lacks.

6. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i could just be the way i play ...i play with a pic and i don't hit the strings very hard or anything....most of the time...i play kindof more with finesse and just turn my amp up for the power

7. It doesn't seem right to me that the bass would amp at all without a battery. If the preamp on your bass was original or connected, you wouldn't get a signal without a battery.

8. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    it's brand new ...only a month old and it does work without a battery....the tone knobs don't work ....just the volume...but you can shape your tone with an amp....so you get the same sound either way....turn the bass up on your tone knob or the amp....it's still bass....it's still treble ....still mids.....all i'm saying is that the bass guitar itself doesn't add or take away a whole lot of bass middle or treble......just a slight bit...where as with an amp you can add or take away tons of it....i think tone knobs are really just for on the fly shaping of your sound while your playing so you don't have to adjust your amp ....but if you set your amp right to begin with then it really doesn't matter unless you're playing some kind of solo or something for a certain song

9. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah, that seems odd that you get output without a battery. I just tried my Sterling without a battery, and theres NO sound.

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Don't know about Sterlings, but Stingrays do work without a battery. On my Stingray ('01 3-band), the passive output is a lot less than it's active output.

11. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    my stingray '02 will not work without the battery in. Theres no bypass in a stingray, sumthings funny.

12. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Are you sure? I'd assumed that was the case with mine too, until I just tried it. Sounds good too.

13. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Anyone here with a Sterling that works without a battery?

Mine doesn't

14. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i swear to you mine works without a battery....the battery just allows for the active eq knobs to work...without the battery the bass, treble, and mid knobs don't work but you still get sound....it's not really a whole lot less of volume either....at least not on mine....mine is a 05' model so i don't know...it may be a failsafe if your battery goes dead in a concert or something ...i don't know

i'm toying with the thought of just playing it without a battery like a passive bass and just using my amp to eq it....i mean my amp has 2 eq's on it already...it's a mesa 400+ with dial eq and slider eq

the only knob i really use anyway is the bass knob all the way up....i leave the treble and mid knobs flat

it still sounds like a stingray without the battery so why not....hmmmm

15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Is it a five string Stingray?

16. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    mine is a 4 string

17. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I sell and work on Stingrays all the time. I do replace the imputs quite often and have also seen your particular problem before. If you feel up to it take out the screws out of your imput, and resoldure all the connections (just heat up the connections and let them reset) If that doesnt work you probably need a new imput. They're not very expensive.

18. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Whats an "imput" ?

19. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Sorry man I'm from Mississippi...input. not imput. You got me there. Man thanks I thought I was helping, but your keen eye revealed my evil plot to distroy someones life. Gotta remember input input input. I was just giving him imput about his input!

20. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I'm guessing some connections are broken inside, maybe to the battery compartment or something.