stingray for alternative music?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jan 13, 2005.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    someone effered me to trade my fender fmt which im selling, for his stingray.....

i only tried a ray once, and love the playabiblity, but dont know about the tone, the music im doing is something between tool and pink floyd.ish..... would a musicman fit in there?
  2. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I say go for it!

I play a Stingray for all styles, mostly alternative and it works extremely well. If its the 3-band EQ, you can adjust a little here and there.

The thing I love about mine is that it cuts through loud guitars really well.

Rock on!
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hell Yeah. Crank it up and get that edge going!
  4. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    how about the lows in the bass?
  5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The Stingray works better for that type of music than a Jazz.
  6. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i onw another jazz bass, a 77. which is the one i use.

i get good tone from the bass into a sansamp bass driver with a compressor and a boss eq pedal, but not perfect tone, how would the ray chancge that?
  7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The Stingray has a bassier, more powerful, growlier, punchier, and more masculine sound. Part of this is due to the position of its pickup being more harmonically accurate, part of it is because MM pickups and preamps have much more gain and lows and highs than almost all pickups.

With all this, it may sound like to you that I am totally pro-Stingray, which is not true. When you buy a Stingray, you lose a great deal of clarity, the ability to play on the front pickup, and a you get much bigger neck. Sometimes I don't want so much back pickup, and with a Stingray that's all you have.

I prefer MM/J basses, hybrids between a Stingray and a Jazz. I like my 44-02 a lot, it can be like a Stingray or a Jazz, only it sounds better than both!
  8. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    so is the neck that big?
    i remember when itried one some years ago it was bigger than my jazz...... and all my life i played thin necks
  9. doogenbomb

Oct 25, 2004
    Pink Floyd's bass player uses a Sterling.....
  10. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

you mean former pink floyd bassist? aka roger water?

or the onle that played with them after roger waters left the band?
  11. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    somene just offered me for the FMT a warwick corvette 6 string!!!!

ahhh what should i do now?!?!?!

i love warwick! but never played a 6 string bass!!!! not even 5!
  12. The neck isn't that wide. (across the nut)

It's 1 5/8 inches at the nut. A Jazz bass is 1.5 inches, which would = 1 4/8 inches. A Stingray's neck is only 1/8 inch wider at the nut. Check out all the specs:

My advice would be to get the Stingray, but then I am biased. ;)

Stingrays are so nice. :cool:

13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stingrays/Sterlings mad nice.
  14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Sure it will work. It's all about the attitude anyways. Right?

Rock and roll!

15. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    So you guys are saying you could actually play any kind of music with any kind of bass?

I wish I'd known this 30 years ago.

16. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Nope not saying that. I just think we all get too caught up in what will work for what instead of just getting out and doing it.

17. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Don't get a stingray. Too bright and Snappy. Get something vintage style and not with active electronics. Using a stingray for alt-rock is like letting a bull loose in a china shop. IMHO.

Why don't you like your FMT? (if you don't mind me asking)

If your FMT is to bright and aggressive sounding, a stingray will sound similar, but with less variety..

Honestly, though, there are major stingray devotees here at this forum who would probably disagree with everything I just said.

Go play one and make up your own mind. The Stingray is considered a classic, and there is no question that they are very well built. I prefer the ugly Bongo,'s got great tones!
  18. i'm sure he could mellow the tone out with EQ-ing if he wanted

he said he's after something between tool and pink floyd, the aggressiveness of a stingray would be perfect if he's affter a tool-ish tone IMO
  19. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    ok, who has used a Stingray?

Kim Deal - Pixies
    Simon Gallup - The Cure
    Tony Levin

No need to continue, lots of tones if you get to know the instrument.

Bottom? Tons. Dubby if you want.
    Snap? If you want it, it's there, if not, roll it off.
    Warmth? Once again, yes if you try.
  20. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Yea. The guy from Queen, too. They work in many types of music