1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray + Hartke = pfffft

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DoppelgangerJon, Mar 24, 2013.

1. I play live with my new Stingray 5 and Hartke HA2500 with VX410 speakers. Is there something fundamentally wrong with this setup that might make it sound like ****?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Only the owner/operator.

3. speak2planets

speak2planets

Oct 25, 2012
    Hotlanta
    Ouch. Start from the basics. Check yer cables. All of them. Including the one from head to cabinet. Then check yer batteries on everything

4. miner

miner

Oct 26, 2008
    Chicago
    It depends on what you consider to sound good and sound bad. What kind of sound are you getting, and how do you want it to sound?

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The 2500 is a strange agent with some nasty bumps (to my ears) in the low and upper mids. First off, forget the onboard compressor as it hinders more than helps. Use the high & low filters to approximate the desired tone, then activate the GEQ. Note: the sliders centered do not create a flat tonal profile. IIRC, I had to drag more than one slider to the basement to knock-out the "nasalness". I do remember this: the resulting slider profile resembled a "seagull in flight banking to starboard".

Riis

6. Thanks. I will try that.

7. No need to be a douchebag.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I could see there being some challenges with that pairing.

There's a whole lot of midrange happening in that combination, which would only be accentuated by that particular cabinet. If the sound you're hearing is nasally, "brittle" and clacky it would not surprise me.

I would start by rolling off the High contour and disengaging the graphic EQ altogether. I would also use very little if any of the solid state Pre and run your Tube pre high (at least 6 or 7) to try and warm things up a bit.

And be sure you're running into the Active input jack cause Stingrays can put out a lot of signal.

9. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    Elitist much? :rolleyes:

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Check cables for what? Usually they either work or they don't.

11. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sounding like <insert undesirable substance here> isn't very descriptive. Can you be more specific about what there is to the sound that you dislike?

12. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    This might just be one of the most descriptive phrases relating to graphic equalization I have come across.

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yes but is that starboard for the seagull... Or for the one watching it?

14. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Unless it's a cable that has an electrostatic shield, that shield was not removed from the hot conductor, and it has been allowed to come into contact with the hot tab of the plug. I've seen it on several cables, including one that wasn't cheap (and could not be dismantled - I just tossed it in the trash).

15. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    How is that "elitist"?

16. Mean is more like it.

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Starboard for the seagull...we are viewing it from the ass-end which is really not a good place to be. If you live at the beach, you probably know that already.

Riis

18. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Assuming all gear is working probably, it's not the gear's fault. OP is most likely doing something wrong processing wise or playing wise.

19. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    How do you have your 'ray setup control-wise?

20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    SR5 is a great bass. HA2500+VX cabinet not so much IMO, IME. I sold off my early Hartke stuff. Didn't like it at all. Go to a GC or other music store and try your SR5 with some other rigs like Markbass. Mesa or Ampeg and see how they compare.