Stingray players: advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muddslide, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Hey, All. I posted this here rather than the luthiery/repair forum because it's not specific to a repair or actual tech work.

Let me preface this by saying I realize what I just scored is not even close to thinking about being anything like a real Stingray, nor is it in the same universe as MM products as far as quality.

So, couple days back I snagged an Arbor brand Stingray copy. It is passive. Surprisingly, it sounds and plays pretty good. Cost me $65.

I have no desire to make it active, and I'm not sure I'm even going to mod it.

But anyone here have recommendations for a replacement hb pup that is designed for a passive bass?

Does EBMM make such a beast?

I was considering a G&L L or M series HB pup...not sure it would drop in and fit right, but I can handle that.

Any other suggestions?

I'm also considering killing two pots and just having a volume knob and new jack. Not sure yet. I need to play with it amplified more. It sounded ace in the store, but I have no amp currently.

I appreciate any input.

PS:

I will say, though I've owned dozens of different types of basses in my 40 years of playing, I'm a pretty dedicated P player.

But every time I have played a real MM bass or guitar I have been most impressed. They are the ONLY active basses I have ever got on with. I borrowed an old 2 HB Sterling model from a guy years back for a series of gigs and damn it was nice.

Be a long time before I can afford the real deal, but you may have a convert here.

Love to have a fretless Stingray someday with a maple fingerboard with natural finish body and black pickguard. So classy.

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    StingRay pickup is still passive. It's the preamp that makes the bass "active".

So you can shop from places like Seymour Duncan for a nicer replacement if that's what you're doing.

EBMM does not sell their pickups outright.

Garret Graves and jd56hawk like this.
  3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Check out GFS pickups at Guitar fetish.com. Available in ceramic or alnico.

Nick Danger and jd56hawk like this.
  4. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    Keep this in mind too --- while the EB/MM proprietary nature of its preamp are important for 'Ray tone, make sure whatever pickup you get is Parallel...many third-party MM style pickups are wired Series and that makes a difference if its not Parallel

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Thanks for the replies. Really just not that acquainted with MMs.

Like I say, this sounded darn good in the store. But if I decide it needs an upgrade, I'll look into those GFS pups!

6. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I would like to underline the importance of getting a parallel wired pickup. I have good experiences with a Haeüssel MM. I also liked the Aguilar AG5M. The Aguilar might be a bit cheaper. You have more options with Haeüssel. Good luck!

7. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    Bartolini make a great Music man style pickup.

8. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  9. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Here's another question:

Is there a decent but not too pricey aftermarket case for Stingrays?

10. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Many people like the musicians friends cases for being cheap , but any universal Case will work. Fender tweed , fender vintage , ric vintage , etc.

11. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Afraid this is going to seem like heresy to Stingray lovers, but since what I got is merely a cheap imitation, passive, etc., I'm considering something like this:

Screenshot_20180816-085410_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180816-085501_Chrome.jpg

12. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    ...but the placement of the pup closer to the bridge than on a standard P...wonder how that will sound?

Eh, I am gonna see how the stock pup does...dammit, I gotta get an amp, stat!

13. I need some help sorting the various Stingray versions out. You have the EBMM Stingray, Sub Stingray, Sterling SUB Stingray...

Apart from the EBMM being the real deal, what is up with the rest of them? Cheap knock offs? Licensed copies? I'm asking because i will be looking into these, because i happened to listen to and play one recently and really like it. But with a quick search i found all these basses, some of which are really expensive taking into consideration they are copies.

14. I have an OLP (Officially Licensed Product) MM2, licensed by EB. I replaced the pickup with a GFS MM Pro (alnico) along with new audio taper pots wired as master volume & master tone. After new strings and a setup it's a beast!
    OLP MM2 8-27-18 0002sm.jpg

15. OLP i think has a license only for the headstock? At any rate i'd rather get a bass that's as close to the real deal soundwise without me needing to put more money in it just to make it sound good but nothing like the original.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021