Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Scam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lordzip, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Lordzip

Lordzip Guest

Jan 20, 2006
    Alright. On January 9th I purchased a stingray from a seller on ebay who i deemed respectable. He had 20 positive bits of feedback when I bought. He responded,

Hello! Please send the payment via Express mail (it will considerably accelerate our transaction). Please also include shipping confirmation. I'll do the same (and your item will be insured for FREE). I will package very securely for shipping. Thanks. Looking forward to the tracking number from you.

... and I sent the payment ( a money order), the next day.

He hasn't responded or sent the bass since.

On the sixteenth, this popped up on his feedback page.

very bad seller, do not buy from him he will steal ur money and not respond back

I was starting to get a little worried, so I emailed him again. NO response. Finally I requested his contact information, only to find his phone number rang twice then went to "this number cannot be reached on the phone you are using". I tried it on about 6 different phones, always the same thing. I filed a poor contact information complaint, but it is still being processed.

Then yesterday, on the feedback page,

Lost trust, never shipped item, odd money request, would not do business again!

I have just filled a dispute, but it didnt seem like it would do much if ebay can't reach him. Is there any chance left for me to get the bass (i saved up for this for a while, and my other bass just died). How should I have known this was a scam? He had all positive feedback when I bought it.

The item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7381102641&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

The feedback page: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=jasonin_nlv&iid=7381102641&frm=284

Thanks

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    file a police report. I hope you still have the address the funds were sent to. That sucks man.... but definitely do all you can by the way of the law.

good luck

3. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I'm sure you will get some of you money back. That price for a new Stingray would have been killer, but I doubt that bass ever even existed. Good luck, but next time try to use Paypal.

Bassconbeatz

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Mate, I hate to say it, but those photos look like they were taken straight off the Elderly Bros site. That particular bass isn't there anymore, but here's one to give you an idea of how they photograph their instruments.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SR4-VSB-MPL-HUM.htm

Maybe you should contact them and ask them if they recognise the bass in your auction, and if they know who it was sold to.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I can't look at the seller's history, because my work computer blocks ebay. How long had he been an ebay member? It's pretty easy to get 20 positive feedbacks in a short amount of time.

Paypal is your friend. It offers you more protection than using a money order or cashiers check. It always sends up red flags to me when someone doesn't accept paypal, especially on big ticket items.

File a complaint, and file a police report. If the guy is a professional scammer, then you can kiss your money goodbye. Sounds like a pro: he scammed group of people at the same time and had them expidite their payments so that it would be too late once the negative feedback started.

Here's another hint when buying high ticket items: ask the seller to send you a picture of an unusual part of the item, maybe from a wierd angle. If they do it, then it gives you some comfort that the item is actually in their possession.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Money Orders should be insurred. If you have your receipt, you may be able to recover your money that way.

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I always get a little concerened when there is no rhyme or reason to what they are selling.

Look at the products that were bought and sold. Nothing is the related. A dvd, a video camera, some sort of walkie talkie, a beat counter. The guy is probably a thief and uses the ebay account to off his stolen goods.

My wifes ebay identy was stolen recently and her account was used to sell stolen GPS recievers. She was not notified untill several GPS Recievers were sold under her account. She had to change her log in and account information.

I'm not real comfortable doing business on ebay anymore.

As for you money. I'm really sorry this happened to you. I wouldn't hold your breath on ebay doing much about it though.

8. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    you should also give him negative feedback with an explanation so no one else goes through the trouble

9. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I doubt this guy will be using that account again. He'll register a new one.

10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Best to always pay thru Paypal, with a credit card only.

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    How would you have known it was a scam? Payment method. I would have backed off right there.
    Hope you get your money back, that's too bad.

12. It looks like a pretty common scam to me

seller gets 20 or so good responses by buying things (note they all say 'fast payment', not 'fast delivery) then rips someone off by selling something big

For the most part its good to only pay through Paypal from first time sellers (Everyone has to start somewhere), and if mailorders or the like are requested, make sure they have a LOT of good seller feedbacks

Don't mean to preach to you after the fact. It's a damn shame that it happened, and I hope you get your money back. Good luck

13. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I'd also like to point out that all of his positive feedback from users with ratings over 3 were from Sellers, as in people HE bought from, not from people he sold to.

14. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I refuse to shop on ebay. I only use Talkbass or a reputable music store.

15. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    always send an insured postal money order

16. bthrem

bthrem Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    Did you send the payment via the US Postal Service? You may want inquire with them as well about mail fraud charges.

My heart goes out to you. I got nailed for $800 pre-Internet days when selling an item through the Keyboard Magazine classifieds.

17. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    If you pay through paypal, are you safe?

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    More safe.

I second the opinion, when I first saw those pics, I realized its a new bass for $610. Screams scam. Then I realized those were definately Elderly's pictures.

The guy doesn't have the bass.

Contact the police in the seller's town and file a complaint. I believe this also constitutes as mail fraud, a federal offense.

19. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA

Yes. I've never had any problems either in selling or buying.

Bassconbeatz

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I almost got stung in similar fashion trying to buy a Crown amp (that probably never existed) using a USPS Money Order. If you MUST transact using a money order or cashiers check, you MUST also send the payment REGISTERED MAIL - SIGNATURE REQUIRED. That does three things.....

1. Makes the "seller" have to show identification and sign for the mail. Most scammers use a P.O. box or Mail Boxes Etc. type setup or a vacant address where the mail is just dropped for their pickup. Having to show up in person and present ID poses a logistics problem.
    2. Allows you to have the mail reversed and sent back to you if you get information leading you to believe it's a scam. This is how I got my money back.
    3. Allows you to get reimbursed in the event that the Post Office delivers it without getting a signature.

Otherwise, as has been said over & over.....Use Paypal or only deal with those you KNOW you can trust.

Peace,

James