Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletch, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Can anyone give me an example of the "Stingray" sound in a recording? I'm asking because I own an OLP 5 string that I really love but constantly read is not able to sound like a real Stingray. I've also read the 5's don't sound like the 4's so I guess I'm looking for a recording of a sr5.

Btw. My current setup, which also seems to be much maligned, a Roland db-500,Aphex Bass Exciter,on occasion a Digitech Bass Synth Wah, and a Digitech Bp200. I usally only use the exciter as far as pedals go, between that and my amp I am able to get just about any tone I've ever wanted. What am I missing?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If your sound makes you happy, don't concern yourself with whether it sounds "the same" as ANYTHING else.

FWIW, best example of various real SR5 tones are Tony Levin with Peter Gabriel on the "US" CD as well as Secret World Live.

A stock OLP isn't going to approach the tone, but if you're happy, you shouldn't concern yourself with that at all.

3. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    As someone noted in another thread recently, early Sade CDs contain lots and lots of examples of great Stingray tone, clean and unaffected, not to mention pretty high in the mix. Check out "Mr. Wrong" off of the "Promise" album.

And if you're not into Sade, check out the opening riff to "Waiting Room" by Fugazi.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Pick up moe.'s "L" live CD. Rob used Stingrays before switching to Modulus (and then ultimately switching to Ibanez).

There are great lines all over that double disc - you should get a good idea of the sound.

5. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    As someone noted in another thread recently, early Sade CDs contain lots and lots of examples of great Stingray tone, clean and unaffected, not to mention pretty high in the mix. Check out "Mr. Wrong" off of the "Promise" album.

And if you're not into Sade, check out the opening riff to "Waiting Room" by Fugazi.

6. That'd be your's truly. :)

Here's the link: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103571

Enjoy.

Mike