Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray vs. Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadB, May 30, 2005.

Stingray vs. Sterling

Poll closed Jun 2, 2005.
  1. Stingray

125 vote(s)
    63.5%
  2. Sterling

72 vote(s)
    36.5%
  1. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Besides the size differences, do any of you have any strong opinions about the Stingray sound versus the Sterling?

2. Well, I'm not sure if you're putting neck dimensions in 'size' but that, in the Sterling's favour, and the coil tap switch and standard 3 band EQ

3. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    PSH! no competition...stingray!...(though either would look beautiful in my collection) :hyper:

4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    I guess I should have asked, which one and why? Also, does the Sterling sound exactly the same until you flip the switch?

5. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    The basses do seem to sound identical when both are wired in parallel mode. However, I love being able to siwitch into single coil mode on my Sterling when playing fingerstyle. It enables me to emulate the sound of a good jazz bass with the bridge pickup soloed. The Stingray 4 does not have this capability, although the Stingray 5 does.

6. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i don't agree with that...i played both of them at gc and i couldn't get the sterling to sound as good as the stingray even though it has the switch on it....the stingray is the best

7. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I bought a SUB (stingray body) before my Sterling. I don't know about the sound comparison, but the Sterling neck and body are sweeeet. Feels better than a Jazz bass to me.

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I prefer Sterlings for their greater, though not that great, tonal variety and smaller dimensions. The Ray is a classic but it's a big cumbersome beast. I've never noticed any difference in tone between the two when the Sterling is set in the Ray mode.

9. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Just curious, how does one set a Sterling in the "ray mode" ? What are the knob and switch settings?

10. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i like my sterling better simply because it has a thinner neck and it somwhat more versatile. i can get it pretty close to ray sound but not quite. id be interested to hear people's "ray mode" settings for their sterlings too.

11. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    to me the stingray is light because my bass before that was a fender jazz...the stingray is a little smaller...i don't know exactly ....maybe they weigh about the same....does anyone know

12. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    it depends. i had a jazz bass that weighed close to 11 pounds and another one that weighed 8 - 9.

13. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    Her's my opinion- The Stering is much warmer sounding than the Stingrays I've tried, and that's exactly what I like in a bass. I couldn't dial in the sound I wanted with the Stingray. Plus the neck is thin and comfortable and it only weighs 9lb.

14. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    That's what I want to know. What are the tonal differences? It's too noisy at our local GC's to shop by sound. Damn guitarists. :eyebrow: Always steppin' on your groove.

15. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    all i can really say is that the stingray has more growl to it...it's just got that unique sound that no other bass can acheive....although i saw a flea bass on ebay the other day that had a seymour duncan alinco magnet stingray pickup in it....i wonder how it sounds?

16. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Love my Sterling, playing off the neck vs pickup makes a HUGE difference, the tone is close... Go by what feels better. Slappers Stingray though...
    Get a pretty one, Pearl Blue, White Pearlized pickguard, rosewood board, THE LADIES LOVE IT!! Matching strap with a matching dolphin hanging off... ladies go home with you!

17. Switch towards the bridge: Parallel ('Stingray') mode
    Switch in the middle: Single coil ('Jazz') mode with the other coil working to cancel out hum (phantom coil)
    Switch facing the neck: Series mode, can't think of a well known example really, though I'm pretty sure my Ibanez is wired series.

Search around, you'll find everything you need to know about these beasts.

Marty

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Sterling. I find I can get a pretty close Ray sound with mine, it's not the same, it's not as burpy (Though I have rosewood which adds to that anyway) but the other possibilities with a single switch are pretty amazing. Going through the warwick, I can get pretty awesome growl, infact, very awesome growl. Put it on parallel and I can emulate a Myung tone easily and it's great for soloing or a more mid punchy tone.

I voted Sterling, because of the tonal flexibility (Theres more than most people realise in there, in fact alot more, it just takes a bit of fiddling) but i'd love a Ray as well.

Just to note, I have found that a Ray 5 doesn't sound like a Ray 4 either.

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just to be a bitch. I find the sterling has much more growl, especially in single coil (I can almost get a Warwick esque growl, takes some eq'ing though). Compared to the Stingray which is usually said to have a more 'burpy' sound.

20. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Sterling, bassically because of the neck profile and coil tap switch. In parallel, you can't tell its tone from a 3-band EQ Stingray's (unless you have an oscilloscope or something).

ANDRUCA